lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
interstate
Gone Wild

Default help w/87 cc needed

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I just acquired my first golf cart. I was told it was driven into storage two or so years ago and just forgotten about until now.

Batteries were totally dry and will not take a charge. I will have to buy new batteries. I also plan to replace all the battery cables due to corrosion.

The cart didn't come with a charger and I don't know what to buy. I do know it has crowfoot plug. I just can't seem to find a good buy on a used one, either.

There is no ignition key, but two wires are "hotwired" together (red and blue).

I found one wire that is pinched in half and I cannot find were it goes to. It is an orange wire connected to the lightbulb or fuse above the charging receptacle. I don't know what that glass bubble with an element is for.

The closest diagram I can find to my cart's layout is the sticky for '88-05. The charger receptacle area is circled and titled "detail A". I can't find a blow up of detail A anywhere.

Other than these few concerns everything looks reasonably intact.

One last question about a charger...Can I possibly charge this cart from a yamaha 1000is inverter gas powered generator? I believe I am limited to 8A output on the 110ac receptacle. I'd like to at least top off the batteries when it will be sitting for a few hours throughout the day. I plan to plug the cart in overnight to recharge completely.

How far can I expect an electric cart to run in a day with a single charge? I'll be running up and down a 1/2 mile lane all day.
interstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
interstate
Gone Wild

Default Re: help w/87 cc needed

I have figured out that the glass lens with an element is a charger fuse. Now I just need to know what to do with the orange wire that is connected to it. That wire appears to have been pinched in half somehow. I can't locate the other end of the wire. I did find a screw with a wire terminal screwed into the frame, but the wire is missing.

Could this simply have been grounded to the frame for the fuse?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
rib33024

Is this what your cart looks like--You have 3 wires coming out of your charger plug one to the + and one to the _ and one to the key switch??

POST #4
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
interstate
Gone Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html

this is what my cart looks like.

Note: I don't have an ignition/key assembly. I believe they removed this and just twisted the two ignition wires together to eliminate the key.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
interstate
Gone Wild

I am confused by the fact that my serial number indicates and 87 model year, but the wire diagram is listed as 88 and newer.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NEVER use a frame ground on an electric cart, period, never. No on the generator these things need the factory correct 36v DC charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
interstate
Gone Wild

Let me clarify on the generator...

Can the proper cart charger be plugged into a generator instead of an AC outlet at a camp site?

More specifically, how much current does a proper charger pull if the batteries are not deeply discharged? For example, if I use the cart for a few miles, park it, fire up the generator, plug in the proper charger, and let it run for a couple of hours, will the charger over tax the generator?

I am still confused about which cart I have here. It does NOT have the five solenoids, but the serial number indicates an 87 model year: "A8711 113739"

Maybe is was built november of 87 and was constructed the same as the 1988's. I thought the "11" in my serial number indicated the eleventh week of 1987, not the eleventh month.

OK, no grounding!! Got it. So, where does that orange wire go? I see a large gauge power in and power out for the fuse. This orange wire is connected to the same termial of the fuse as one of the power wires.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
rib33024

Yes on the generator, they use them at the camp grounds all the time, run the generator and plug the cart charger in to the generator and plug the cart charger in to the generator and your go to go
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The charger will work on a 20 amp circuit .... Your cart may have been updated. Do you have a V-glide and resistor coils system?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
interstate
Gone Wild

I took another look at the wiring and there is definitely a black wire that goes from the negative post of the first battery (under the driver) to the main frame. That self tapping screw also secures another black wire that is about 6 inches long and then just cut off (broken off). I wonder if someone tried to add an accessory.

Should I simply remove this "grounding wire" from the system?

I also noticed that the positive terminal on that battery happens to be melted or corroded badly. The positive wire terminal is completely gone and the battery stud is melted/dissolved so badly that there are not threads. The securing nut also was 90 melted/dissolved. Could this be caused by the added grounding wire?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car