lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
cvingr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1997 Regen cart question

Hey all, I am starting a new Cart project and have a 1997 48 volt regen cart. Can i convert that to non-regen to use the heavy duty f/r lever, solid state 1204 type speed controller, etc. Would I need to get a new/different potentiometer? Any help would be appreciated.
cvingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1997 Regen cart question

1997 Club Car was one of the transission carts that used 2 different potentiometers, one is no longer listed or available and was mounted under drivers floor, while the other was the basic V glide unit ( pie shaped unit ) under drivers seat between batterys that used small resistors added to a normal 36 volt cart speed control with HD wiring that connected to large resistor board, that gives 5-0 ohms to curtis controller. A Curtis #1204 controller is only for stock 275-300 amperage cart and is made for series motors only, so you would have to find a series motor to replace the regen motor that you now have. If possible to find I would look for a 36 volt motor as it gives more power and speed than regular 48 volt motors and has much HD windings etc. If you have the V glide speed control with small resistors already you can use it but it wont give as smooth flow of power as a Curtis PB-6 unit that can be hooked directly to V glide linkage?
Hope this doesn't confuse you too much.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yes you can do this. You are going to need :

Motor
Controller
HD F&R switch

Your current Pot should work as long as you get a controller that uses a 5k-0 input so as to match the output from your current Pot.

Personally I prefer to spend a little more money when doing these conversions and go with a pair of 6 pole 48 volt HD solenoids instead of the more common lever activated F&R. It allows me to use the rocker switch that is already on the car to control direction and eleminates a whole lot of excess power wire running back and forth to the front of the battery pack. Of course shorter runs of wire also means less resistance and loss of power going to the motor.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

as far as the reagan goes if he just cuts the green wire on the 3 wire plug going into the motor he can disable the reagan...........cut it in a way if you change your mind you can splice it back togather....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

SHADOWMAN-I didnt know that you could use a regen motor as a series unit by just cutting a lead and of course changing wiring and controls to series etc? Not being that much into DC regen motors aren't they shunt wound? If this works I in the past have replaced motors that didn't need replacing? Well I guess its true you learn something new every day of your life?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

old mec, all i really know is it will disable the reagan feature other than that...?????? i have put several high speed motors on reagan carts and just left that plug end taped up and carts ran fine with no problems i think all your really doing is taking the one soleniod out of action but again i learned carts by trial and error i never had any help besides these boards my most treasured tools are cart manuals.................but i really jumped into it without ever touching a cart........it just all of a sudden happened someone saw me working on my own gas cart and within a month i had a full blown thing going on at our campground which has maybe 5000 carts between the 3800 camps................so i got to work on just about every make model of gas/elec there is.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK Shadowman I thought that I had been steering people with regen motors all wrong by telling them what was needed to go series meant changing motor, controller, F&R switch, wiring and in some cases going to a Curtis PB-6 throttle?
Thanks so much for clarifying for me.
OLD MEC
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car