lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
jonitza
Not Yet Wild

Default new motor now not running

I installed a new purple motor form plum quick today on my 05 48v precedent and now it does nothing. It will not go foward or in reverse. The green wire at the motor seems to be getting pretty hot. Does it sound like I did something to the controller.
jonitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: new motor now not running

Was it working fine before the new motor? I have to tell you, if you did not drain the system of any reserve power, you could touch 2 wires, fry the controller and not even know it. Before doing something like this you need to remove battery cables, turn key on, put in reverse and leave pedal held down for around 5 minutes to eliminate any residual power in the system.
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
jonitza
Not Yet Wild

yes it was fine before I changed it. I followed the directions the guy gave me. I also reinstalled the original motor to make sure it was not a problem with the new one and the original does nothing now.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

There are many here with much more experience than myself but it sounds like a wire out of sequence or the controller. Someone will help you with the troubleshooting.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonitza View Post
I installed a new purple motor form plum quick today on my 05 48v precedent and now it does nothing. It will not go foward or in reverse. The green wire at the motor seems to be getting pretty hot. Does it sound like I did something to the controller.
Please put down in order EXACTLY how you uninstalled your old motor and installed the new PQ motor. Also did you use 2 wrenches on each terminal of the motor, holding the lower nut in place while you loosened or tightened the nuts holding down your motor cables?

If it worked before but neither does now... something was done wrong... we just need to go with you step by step to see what it might be.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
jonitza
Not Yet Wild

Yes I did use the 2 wrenches. I did just find I crossed the the 2 wires on the back of the motor. A large white one and a small red one. Don't know how I did this, marked everything and checked it 3 times before i took the original off. I followed the instructions Rob gave me from PQ. I guess since I crossed the wire's I cooked the controller. Would crossing them kill my controller??
Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonitza View Post
Yes I did use the 2 wrenches. I did just find I crossed the the 2 wires on the back of the motor. A large white one and a small red one. Don't know how I did this, marked everything and checked it 3 times before i took the original off. I followed the instructions Rob gave me from PQ. I guess since I crossed the wire's I cooked the controller. Would crossing them kill my controller??
Most likely... but have you checked your fuses located between your batteries under the plastic cover? By the way... this is what Robby tells folks to do when changing out a motor:

Put Tow/Run to Tow position
Remove Main Negative lead off battery pack.
Remove Main Positive lead off battery pack.
Write down wire color and position on current motor for reference.
Use 2 open end wrenches on the cable lead nuts so as not to spin the terminals internally and remove cables from motor.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the motor in place.
Tap on the back side of the motor, (where the leads are,) to loosen the motor from the differential with a rubber mallet.
Pull old motor off, (expect to have 40 pounds of motor hit the floor if not careful, might want to pad that area first.
Clean inside of differential from slung grease.
Apply a dab of grease to shaft, (I used marine grease.)
place new motor on shaft and slide to fit snug on differential.
Replace 4 bolts back to hold motor in place, careful to not over torque.
Replace cables on the same leads from original motor using two open end wrench's again
replace main positive lead on battery
replace main negative lead on battery pack
move tow/run switch in run position
turn on key, move forward/reverse switch to forward and tap pedal a couple of times to engage solenoid.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
jonitza
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE..it was the controller. I put on a new one that I got from Robby at PQ and the cart is now running again. So i have a new purple motor and controller and the cart is going slower than before I started all this. When you push the pedal it takes off then it dies down to about 10mhp. Any idea's, batteries are fully charged.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sounds like a speed sensor. Small part on rear of motor with wires coming out. You should be able to swap it out with the one on your stock motor and try it.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
jonitza
Not Yet Wild

Is it almost like a wire harnes. Has 3 wires on it and plugs into the other half coming from the controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car