lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
dkscism
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Quality Speakers?!?

hey guys, i just completed my whole cart project..im working on a thread right now that shows start-finish. Anyways, i was wondering which speakers i should use. They will be wired to an old car radio i had lying around..Should i use marine? Im not trying to spend my year savings (not alot), but i want good quality speakers...any websites or recomendations?
dkscism is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Quality Speakers?!?

You need power to move sound that is not enclosed in a vehicle, are you going to amplify this? If not, good quality speakers are not required for an old car radio you had laying around.

6.5" 2way speakers will give you the most sound and should do anything you want.
Walmart has 160w Kenwoods for $30/pr here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-6-...E1652/14903824
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

marine speakers will hold up better if the cart is left outside (washed, etc). parts express has some cheap marine grade equipment. link

if you go with non-marine grade, look for polypropylene cones and rubber (not foam) surrounds.
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
marine speakers will hold up better if the cart is left outside (washed, etc). parts express has some cheap marine grade equipment. link

if you go with non-marine grade, look for polypropylene cones and rubber (not foam) surrounds.
Agreed. The Walmart speakers I quoted above are poly cones.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
greenmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought a complete set-up at Bass Pro Shop for $89.00- Pyle Marine Radio with an aux and ipod connection (no CD player) and Marine 5 1/4 co-ax speakers. I mounted the speakers under the seat and the deck in the dash where the golf ball storage was. I was very pleased with the sound- it seems that the battery storage area adds some bass.
I'll post pictures later.
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have installed a few Marine systems and the POLY-PLANAR work and sound the best for the money. You can get them online or at a local West Marine.

They are loud and have a nice deep crisp sound. I cant rave about these more. I have installed stereos that cost a ton and these will blow alot away. Add a amp or booster and you will blow out the parks.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...nd:POLY-PLANAR
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
dkscism
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys. No, I'm not amplifying them, at least not right now. I'm going to buy either marine grade or polypropylene cones/rubber speakers. I have one more question. I have an 1991 EZ-go marathon, but i don't think you have to be familiar with this model to answer. If i wanna mount the speakers above the kick plate about where your mid-calves lie on the cart, in the battery storage area. It looks like a tight fit between the medal and the front row of batteries..anybody know how i can squeeze in speakers?
dkscism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have worked with lots of different speakers.

Here's my opinion:

1. Enclosed speakers - Build a box for each speaker for optimal sound, but for largest amount of work.

2. Open speakers - These speakers do not require boxes, but do not have as good of quality.

Also depends on your type of buggy. If it's prone to get wet, you need enclosed. I would recommend a kevlar cone speaker, like JL audio. Water doesn't effect them on the cone.
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
dmax27
Getting Wild

Try NEWEGG.com or parts-express.com for you speakers. Some people are using 1 inch speaker spacers to push their speakers out away from their batteries. I have Clairan speakers in my boat and love them. I will be installing an old 200 watt Jensen marine stereo I had for my old boat. I ended up getting a new baot and never used the stereo. Go to the car audio section on the web sites and they should show marine equipment.

Dmax27
dmax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The old Jensen marine systems and the Poly planers I was taking about is a unbeatable combination for the money!
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO