lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 4 Wheel Drive Conversion

Hey guys! As many of you know, I am doing a hunting cart restoration. I have looked at some of the pkg's on the internet that modify the front end to be 4WD. Most of the one's I see are between $1800 and $2000. Not sure if it's something I will ever do, but you never know what the future holds!

So, yesterday I was hanging out w/ some family and one of my cousin's tells me that he has 'lots' of DC motors at his house. 36v DC motors that came from various machines, carts, etc. Some of them are from golf carts. He says that if I ever want one to make the front end into 4WD, just let him know.

So, here are the questions: What does it take? Is it possible? Is it so much work that I'd be better off buying the $2000 kit and being done in one afternoon?
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion

You will learn a lot more if you make it yourself

A big question is run time. with 2 motors drawing on the pack how long or how far are you going to be able to go?

My final question on this subject is.....
we are talking about a golfing cart, right?... They go dang near everywhere you would want to go the way they are. I think 4 wheel drive is overkill.
I haven't seen too many converted here on the site.... Maybe you will be the first
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How did I know ScottyB would be the first response??? ha ha!

Well, its definitly not something that I'm going to run off and do next weekend! Just a thought. I know FOR A FACT that where I hunt it's not anything necessary. But, there may be a day when I hunt somewhere else. So, should I get a motor from my cousin and store it for a rainy day?

Question 1: Where do you mount a second motor? There's not any spare room in the front section.
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybellcdr View Post
How did I know ScottyB would be the first response??? ha ha!

Well, its definitly not something that I'm going to run off and do next weekend! Just a thought. I know FOR A FACT that where I hunt it's not anything necessary. But, there may be a day when I hunt somewhere else. So, should I get a motor from my cousin and store it for a rainy day?

Question 1: Where do you mount a second motor? There's not any spare room in the front section.
You would need some type of steering differential. The motor would bolt to it much like it does the rear diff or you would have a drive shaft coming from the rear diff driving the front diff?

Somebody had posted kit pics at one time......
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Save your time and money and just add a good winch to the cart for when you get stuck...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

search Bad boy buggie. They have several that are straight frt axle 4wd. But like whats been said. Adding 4wd will add weight and you will have less run time. By a winch and go for it.

Add a posi to your rear and have fun.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
rib33024

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ive+conversion
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have taken my 2wd cart through +two foot of mud, muck, and water, and anything else you could imagine and have never gotton stuck. You will be amazed what these things will do with the right controller/motor or engine and good ground clearance.

I also took my my #3 street cart up a rock and sand hill at the lake that literally blew peoples minds. Of course I was just a tad on the intoxicated side when I did this....
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO