lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
mach-1
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 Gas Marathon Won't Start

Hello all,

I have an '87 Marathon gas cart. I had been using it in the yard to help build a fence for about the last month or so. There is not a better machine for hauling fence parts and posts....but I digress....

So, I get all done with the fence project, and decide to reward the cart for it's trusty service with a nice bath. That was the mistake!

I power-washed the entire cart, including the engine. (which turned out to be a bad idea) Now she will not start. I checked and it's getting good spark, so I'm wondering if the fuel pump is hosed up. Any advice on what the check?

Thanks,
Mach-1
mach-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1987 Gas Marathon Won't Start

you have spark you say so now
fuel? compression?
Check the air filter for water.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
mach-1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply! I checked it over again. I pulled the spark plug, and it was pretty goo'ed up from the prevoius owner running the mix @ 32:1.

Cleaned and re-gapped the plug, and it runs like a top now. I'm not sure what's going on with it. It ran just fine before I washed it. Strange.
mach-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

May have been loosing some of the spark to moisture.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
BigEd358
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Since you power washed the motor and all of the electronics, check each and every wire and the contacts. It's possible one of the wires broke loose, or lost contact with the connector. I have a 1987 Marathon as well so I'm used to trying to trace wires. Electronic issues are always a pain to check.
BigEd358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Washed mine with a low pressure hose, and it actually screwed up the microswitch - possibly your switch was stuck/shorted off due to water in it, and it worked now that it's dried up.

Opposite happened to me - my microswitch got stuck on when it got wet - cart wouldn't turn off but would idle when the foot was off the gas. A bit of PB and a dry out and everything was back to good.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO