lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
shaggy
Getting Wild

Default what cart do i have , how to find info on it

im new to this forum and new to carts, so please be patient with me, and i'll get you all the info i have. first off the only numbers i have are the ones on chassis by the starter solonoid, they are jf2-302775. i see people refer to their carts as g1,g2 and so on. what is mine, size engine and so on, or how do i find this out. the problem i have (i think) is the solonoid, if i hit the pedel the sol. clicks(sometimes engages, but more often than not , wont) if i jump it , using the big terminals on sol.(and pedel at same time) it turns over great, but still wont start. it'll pop through carb and it'll pop through exhaust but, wont run. its got spark, compression (a little over 100 psi), and its got fuel. WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?. this thing is driving me nuts!!!! thanks in advance for your help . Shag
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what cart do i have , how to find info on it

'A picture's worth a thousand words'
If you don't have pics go to members rides and look at CC Ezgo etc
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
im new to this forum and new to carts, so please be patient with me, and i'll get you all the info i have. first off the only numbers i have are the ones on chassis by the starter solonoid, they are jf2-302775. i see people refer to their carts as g1,g2 and so on. what is mine, size engine and so on, or how do i find this out. the problem i have (i think) is the solonoid, if i hit the pedel the sol. clicks(sometimes engages, but more often than not , wont) if i jump it , using the big terminals on sol.(and pedel at same time) it turns over great, but still wont start. it'll pop through carb and it'll pop through exhaust but, wont run. its got spark, compression (a little over 100 psi), and its got fuel. WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?. this thing is driving me nuts!!!! thanks in advance for your help . Shag
Welcome shaggy ! You have a G8-a. First, do you "always" hear the solenoid "click" ? Second, If you "jumped" the 2 "large posts" on the solenoid the engine should always "crank over" weather the pedal is pushed or not. Lord this is going to be a long post! The first thing I would do is....The negative battery cable is attached to the starter/generator "end plate" there will be a 18 gauge wire "pigtailed" to the cable "eye end", cut back the electrical tape, cut off the 18 gauge wire and put an eye end on it and reattatch the battery cable and the 18 gauge wire eye end to the "post" on the starter. you may or may not have a updated negative fuse for your ground sytem, check for a fuse/holder off this 18 gauge lead. The reason is, your ignition is based on "ground", bad ground connection and it will "backfire like it's out of time. And last on this post..Your engine should have 165 to 175 lbs compression (at wide open throttle). Please try the aboved mentioned fixes first. There are so many posibale things in your post. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

1993 G8, I believe it's a 285cc about 9 hp. Good cart!! Lots of guys here with them. I know groundpounder is a G8 nut!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Dave's the man!!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Dave's the man!!!!
Thanks Ron, but if doesn't fix his problem I feel bad. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
shaggy
Getting Wild

Alright, 18 guage wire (recrimp) check, 10amp fuse-- check, 155-160 psi compression , check. chugga chugga BUZZZZZ chugga chug BUZZZZ. if i push pedal and jump (screw driver accross terminals) solinoid it turns over like a new one, but wont run. now what? i hate to be a pain, but havent found anyone around here that can help. BTW ive also had carb apart and cleaned and recleaned, new plug, made sure exhaust is not plugged,checked to make sure ignition pick-up behind flywheel/balancer (whatever its called?) is clean, made sure that cam timing is ok (flashlight through sparkplug hole with rocker cover off), or as close as i can tell. i must be getting at least some fire because the new plug is blackened (but wet). i hope this will narrow this down a little. Shag also would like to thank you again for your help.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
shaggy
Getting Wild

Quote:
Alright, 18 guage wire (recrimp) check, 10amp fuse-- check, 155-160 psi compression , check. chugga chugga BUZZZZZ chugga chug BUZZZZ. if i push pedal and jump (screw driver accross terminals) solinoid it turns over like a new one, but wont run. now what? i hate to be a pain, but havent found anyone around here that can help. BTW ive also had carb apart and cleaned and recleaned, new plug, made sure exhaust is not plugged,checked to make sure ignition pick-up behind flywheel/balancer (whatever its called?) is clean, made sure that cam timing is ok (flashlight through sparkplug hole with rocker cover off), or as close as i can tell. i must be getting at least some fire because the new plug is blackened (but wet). i hope this will narrow this down a little. Shag also would like to thank you again for your help.
i dont know
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Sounds like you've done just about everything here. With the plug being wet and you getting fire, it may just be getting too much fuel. Not sure if you tried this but pull the fuel pump on the side of the tank, take it apart, and clean it out. If it's full of gunk, sometimes it can mess up the fuel flow.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
shaggy
Getting Wild

Quote:
ok, now ive think ive been through everything mechanical , just went through fuel pump... clean.... diaphrams in good condition, hoses, now what? to me its gotta be electrical. but im not sure how to troubleshoot all those different components. what , what, WHAT???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha