lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Gregad
Not Yet Wild

Default Bent rear leaf spring?

On my 2007 TXTG, I decided to put a 1 1/2" longer shackles on the rear springs to level it out. After making and installing them, I easily see the drivers side is 1/2" lower than the passengers side. Very obvious. Looking sideways across the shackles, the passengers side shackle is almost straight up and down while the drivers side angles back like it should. Putting stock shackles back on there is the same difference.

I have measured axle to be sure it did not slide on spring and it measures same from front of axle tube to front shackle bolts. No broken leafs that I can find.

I am thinking one bad spring maybe bent even though without taking them off I can't tell.

Has anyone noticed this before or have any suggestions?
Gregad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bent rear leaf spring?

Carts tend to wear out the driver side spring first. They do loose their spring as they age. 3 and 4 leaf aftermarket springs are available.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
abumpa
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You would have to take them out and set them upside down on a flat surface next to each other and see if one is sagging compared to the other. If the drivers side is sagging for whatever reason (more weight on drivers side or torque) you can just swap them to the other side.
abumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

it will still lean if you swap them. Is the cart modified in any way? (Rear seat, lift kit, etc.) If so, a 4 leaf rear would be worth looking at. Your 2007 should have a 3 leaf rear.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Gregad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Golf Carts View Post
it will still lean if you swap them. Is the cart modified in any way? (Rear seat, lift kit, etc.) If so, a 4 leaf rear would be worth looking at. Your 2007 should have a 3 leaf rear.
Nope nothing yet. Was going to only put longer shackles on it to level it out and maybe some bigger traction tires on the back but until I get this problem taken care of.....

I can't tell if a spring is flattened out. I can see when looking from side to side across the shackles, one must be longer that the other as one shackle leans back further than the other.

I don't want heavy springs, Too still makes for a uncomfortable ride. It already jolts me around enough.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Gregad
Not Yet Wild

I have been looking at new springs. I see Ezgo springs have a loose straight 3rd spring and some after market springs are drawn up and riveted. Does anyone know what difference the after market springs would be? Harder, =, smoother?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Marko44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregad View Post
I have been looking at new springs. I see Ezgo springs have a loose straight 3rd spring and some after market springs are drawn up and riveted. Does anyone know what difference the after market springs would be? Harder, =, smoother?
I was looking for the same info and didn't have much luck. I ended up calling one of the site sponsors and spoke with one of the techs in the back. He said they were using a 4 leaf and recently started using a 3 leaf setup. I ordered a set off of their website and they ended up shipping a 4 leaf. It's still in transit so I'm not sure how if will feel once it's installed. Here's a link to my thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...e-choices.html

Good luck!
Marko44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

The loose spring means it is a 2-stage spring, it starts out like a two-leaf, and then when excessive travel is used, the 3rd spring come into contact with the other 2, causing it to be firmer only when it needs to be firmer. If you plan on keeping stock speed and stock hieght, as well as no rear seat, go for three leafs. If you want to go faster, the cart can go about 30 with the governor adjusted, and 30 mph around a corner with a 3 leaf rear will result in the cart on its side, I have gotten 18 mph electric carts with 3 leafs on two wheels before. So 3 or 4 leafs are dependent on how you plan on using the cart.
3 leaf with loose 3rd spring
http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Rea...roduct_id=2119
4 leaf
http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Hea...roduct_id=2117
Old 11-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Gregad
Not Yet Wild

That makes sense! I understand what your saying. Maybe I should sacrifice the ride a little for the stability. There are some steep hills that have a good angle on them that will scare you going up and down them. Makes the cart feel like it is going to flip over. Maybe the 4 leaf with the loose 4th, will be better for that terrain as the 4th leaf will hold up the other 3. No I don't go fast where I drive. I just use it to cruise around to sight see basically. Speed is not needed.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

If you don't go to fast this is what I would get
leaf spring package x1
http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Rea...roduct_id=2119
front leaf spring x2
http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Can...af-Spring.html
If your rear springs are worn your fronts will be as well. The shocks should be fine though.

Tags
rear, sagging, spring, springs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO