lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
RedLionCookie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Newbie Needs Advice on Buying a Cart

I am looking for a cart to use at my campsite at the river. The cart will primarily be used to haul 2-4 people from the camper to the boat and back. I want to have a flip seat for hauling gear as well as a roof. The campground is located in Pennsylvania and although its not flat, there aren't any really steep hills either. The campground is relatively small so the cart isn't going to get run for long periods at a time.

This is what I'm looking at:
2008 EZ-Go PDS with the following: The batteries are load tested with a state of the art computerized discharge tester making sure they discharge at 80 minutes, or better of run time. Battery charger is checked and working correctly. Seat covers are used but in good condition with no rips/holes. Cart is checked to ensure it starts, brakes, and steers correctly. Cart is cleaned with a power wash. No roof. No back seat. $1,950

For $300 more I can get the following:
The batteries are load tested with a state of the art computerized discharge tester making sure they discharge at a level of 80 minutes, or better, of run time. Battery wires are replaced and a new solenoid installed. Battery charger is checked and working correctly. Pull rear drums, inspect brakes and replace pads, if worn. Grease all fittings. Remove course logos and decals. Automatically replace both seat covers with new. Check over entire cart to ensure cart starts, brakes, and steers correctly. Cart is power washed and detailed.

I'm looking for advice. Will this cart meet my needs? Is this a decent price. I'm not opposed to buying a cheaper cart and modifying it myself but I'm a little reluctant to do this because I really don't have a clue what to look for in a cart.

Any help... Advice is appreciated.

Dave
RedLionCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie Needs Advice on Buying a Cart

I like the full service an battery guaranty for 80 minutes.... sounds like a good deal on a late model cart.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
RedLionCookie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Would you recommend option #1 or #2?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
RedLionCookie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What do you think of this as an option?

Found it on craigslist.

Ezgo Golf Cart - needs batteries

http://york.craigslist.org/for/2802905500.html
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
wrongway
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

If I bought it at all..I would go with option 1. Cart is late model so brakes are probably fine ..so all you would be getting their with option 2 is an inspection. Seat covers are not very expensive and you may want custom covers later , Solenoid should be OK and you could get some better cables than they would use, most likely. If you are willing to do some of your own work/maintenance...you will learn a lot about your cart. Sounds like they are a dealer...so I would try to get them to include the top in the deal if you want one. Good Luck!!
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave,

Keep your eyes on the Harrisburg CL under RV. There are off-lease carts listed for less than that and include the roof. I picked mine up in Halifax (2005 bought 3 years ago) for 1750. While there were no guarantees discussed, the cart has run on the batteries that were in it (the originals) for the 3 seasons I've been using it. Probably can make it through another season yet.

Good luck on the search.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

RedLion: I just bought a cart much like the one on Craigslist. Mines a bit newer, based on the body, but otherwise they appear to be similar. Mine also came with no batteries. The advantage you have is that you are, or appear to be, dealing with the previous owner. You can ask questions and hopefully get good answers.
Plan on $600.00, (ballpark), for batteries. If the cart is otherwise good, and you want to spend less money up front, you should be ok. If you don't mind the up front money and want a cart with less maint. issues, go for the newer one. Your skills, knowledge and desires play a very important role. I am also new to this site but have already learned a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions. These folks will keep you straight.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I to got my off lease cart from a distributor in GA. It came back east all the way from a Vegas course. I got my PDS for $1750 with new batteries, Top, and it was a 07 when I got it in late 2010. I put a rear seat on it and a few other basic mods like a radio and Aux Battery to run it and the light kit.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Another thing is to make sure you get a good working charger. Even to the point of plugging it and and seeing for yourself that it's ok. I didn't follow this advice and ended up with a non-working Powerwise QE charger with my 2008 cart. Also, keep in mind that the QE chargers (which you may get with a later model cart) are not repairable. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
RedLionCookie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you all for the great advice. It is appreciated. Feel free to keep it coming.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO