lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
tang1
Not Yet Wild

Question 98 e-z go 36 volt txt series

At the begining solenoid would not click. Kept working pedal then would work. then stopped working.Could cross over solenoid and would work, bought new replacement solenoid when hooking up battery blowed reed switch. Crossed over reed switch pushed pedal, pop. Checked micro switch blowed. Crossed micro switch over no click pedal or solenoid. Test have been done on solenoid, big post 38 volt and 36 volt. Small post 0 volts. The volt meter at switch one wire that jumps to switch 0 volts.:
tang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 e-z go 36 volt txt series

Welcome to BGW!

Here is a schematic for a series cart with the solenoid activation circuit traced,

Sounds like the microswitch in the pedal box was the original problem and then the diode across the coil terminals got put in backwards when the new solenoid was installed, blowing the reed switch and maybe some other things.

Leave the diode off for the time being. It isn't need for cart to run.

After cart is running, install diode with cathode (banded end) attached to coil terminal with two red wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
tang1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, the diode with small wire on the solenoid white stripe closest to the mounting bracket If this is right why would it blow micro at pedal? can u put jumper wire and bypass micro at pedal will cart run ? I'm in a wheelchair little slow working on cart then getting back to u.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang1 View Post
1. Thanks, the diode with small wire on the solenoid white stripe closest to the mounting bracket
2. If this is right why would it blow micro at pedal?
3. can u put jumper wire and bypass micro at pedal will cart run ?
4. I'm in a wheelchair little slow working on cart then getting back to u.
1. I cannot see your cart, so I don't know which type solenoid you have, or which way it is wired.
In any case, the end of the diode with the white or silver stripe around it should be attached to the small terminal on the solenoid that has a wire coming from the pedal box microswitch and another wire going to Pin-4 on controller.

2. I didn't say the diode blew the pedal microswitch.
I said the pedal microswitch was probably the original problem because the original symptom was that the solenoid would click if the pedal was worked several times.
However, the solenoid was replaced instead of the pedal microswitch and if the diode was installed backwards on the new solenoid, then the pedal microswitch or the Reed switch or the F/R microswitch or the keyswitch could have been take out by the short circuit that was created.

3. Having maintained, or been responsible for the maintenance of, electronic and electrical devices for 50+ years, I know for a fact that a jumper wire is one of the most dangerous things in existence, to both people and machines. However, they are sometimes a necessary evil to test something, but they should only be used for testing purposes.

To answer your question. If the pedal microswitch is bad, bypassing it will allow the cart to run, but it is unsafe to ride cart in that condition.

4. I'm not in a wheelchair, but I do have the blue placard hinging from my rear-view mirror, so I understand your plight to some degree.
Hang in there, we'll get it fixed.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think that if the jumper wire replaces the MS in the peddle box the solenoid will be engaged all the time the key is on and the controller will be on all this time also, resulting in a remarkably shortened service life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
tang1
Not Yet Wild

reverse and forward switch forward red wire 37 volts and then reverse blue wires37 volts Solenoid has 2little red wires 37volts and 2 little black wires 0 volts.
All test done with micro at pedal crossed over.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang1 View Post
reverse and forward switch forward red wire 37 volts and then reverse blue wires37 volts Solenoid has 2little red wires 37volts and 2 little black wires 0 volts.
All test done with micro at pedal crossed over.
The reverse microswitch (MS-4) does not have any blue wires. Just the Red jumper to MS-2 bringing in B+ (+37V in this case) and on the output (NC terminal) an Orange wire to Pin-3 on controller and a Red wire to the reverse beeper.

Blue wire should go from MS-2 NC terminal to the keyswitch.

Of course, someone could have re-wired the cart using different colored wires.

Is the solenoid clicking? It should drop out when you turn key off.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
tang1
Not Yet Wild

My mistake sorry: Blue wire is coming from forward micro switch going to ingition. I have no voltage at ingition. Battery indicator gauage red wire 37 volts.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
tang1
Not Yet Wild

push pedal solenoid click's no go. voltage at solenoid 37.6, control side of solenoid 36.0 a2 36.0 ,m- 36.0, b+ 36.0, with pedal pushed control side of solenoild 16.5, m- 16.4,
b+ 16.5, a2 16.4, little red wire on solenoild 37.5 volts, little black wire 0, jump b+ to battery cart works fine. 36 volt series txt
Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
tang1
Not Yet Wild

ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO