lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Cajun TBoy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default strange thing going on!!!!

I have a 05 Precedent, front head lights and tail lights were wired through cart batteries. I added two sealed 12 volt batteries for a radio,sub-woffer some underlight and horn. With the ipod on and you would honk the horn, the ipod would cut off. The jolt would I understand that now with radio on and I turn the headlights on it cuts the radio off and comes back on in a couple of seconds. They are on different batteries. Anyone has any clue?
Everything works fine, havent had to charge any more than before.
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Default Re: strange thing going on!!!!

It sounds like you have a shared ground or positive (from both battery packs) on the same wire.
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: strange thing going on!!!!

I agree with offtwice.

You have two voltage "systems" in the car: (1.) is the 48 volts that powers the car and (2.) the 12 volt for the accessories you mentioned. They need to be completly seperate with no common wiring between the two, and neither of the systems using the frame of the car for anything.

examples: if the underlights have a metal base, and they are attached to the frame, that can cause problems. Does the horn have 2 wires going to it, or just 1, with the horn bolted to the frame? With just one wire you are using the frame for the negative - not good.

Hope this helps. Dave
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Cajun TBoy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I bought the cart with the head lights and I wired everything else. They are both seperate systems, all negitaves go back to the batteries. I have pulled the sub out and checked all wires, disconnected it and it started workingwithout cutting out. I had another loose battery so I connected it to the sub only and still worked. So I traced both + and - from sub to batteries which is only a foot of wire and had no cuts or nicks. Connected it all back and first try it cut out. Needed a beer and scratched my head some more. I put my meter on and voltage was 12.85, pulled light switch and it dropped to 12.57 and cut out. connected everything as it was and turned sub all the way down, it stayed on, kept raising sub and trying and it was all good until I got to about 3/4 then cut out. I can live with that, I'll be painting the body one of these days and will recheck wires then. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

A thought- does the horn use a relay or is it wired straight through the momentary horn switch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I dont know a lot about stereos, but my boat has a sub and I have about 10 speakers in addition to the sub that run off a 12 volt bat and trust me it cranks and does not cutout, but it also has a couple amplifiers in line. Maybe you need an amp to run that sub, just a thought.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Cajun TBoy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The horn is on a relay. I think sub has a built in amp.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car