lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Dr.Love
Not Yet Wild

Default Heavy duty solenoid?

Does a heavy duty solenoid need the diode and resesitor to work?
Thanks
Dr.Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
timbo73
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Heavy duty solenoid?

The solenoid will work with out the diode and resister. However, all your other contact switches will last longer with diode since it prevents arching when switches are closed. I believe the resistor is necessary for your controller if you have one.
timbo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In your other thread, did you test your solenoid activation circuit? Most of the time the problem is in the activation circuit, not the solenoid itself.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Dr. L. You don't HAVE to have 'em....but it's not a good idea long term to not have 'em installed!! If you have a Diode tester on your multimeter, test your Diode. It will tell you if the Diode is good or bad.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
mrgreenheads
Not Yet Wild

Similar question not to steel the thread but if the solenoid will work with out the diode and resistor why even bother or why not devise something more user friendly if it really should be used
mrgreenheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Both of these devices are needed for long term operation. Without them you will be replacing your solenoid and controller much sooner than expected. Not to mention possibly damaging other electrical components like stereos or voltage reducers.
Nothing could be easier to install than the precharge resistor. It is non directional.
You simply install it between the 2 large terminals on the solenoid and it precharges the Controller saving it from excessive wear on hard starts.
The suppression diode is equally simple with the exception that it has a directional flow. This flow must be observed when installing. The + side is marked with a white band on the diode.
The diode connects the 2 small post. The small posts are the solenoid activation circuit. Solenoid activation requires + on one small post and - on the other small post. This creates the magnetic field which draws the heavy contactor up (or in) where it connects the 2 large terminals which provides power to the controller.
When the solenoid is turned off the magnetic field collapses and a large voltage spike is sent back into the activation circuit. Without the suppression diode this high voltage spike would travel back up the circuit and possibly damage other components.
The solenoid activation posts are not + or - until you put the wires on them. They simply do not care if + is on the right side or left. BUT- the diode must be installed with the white band on the + side.

I hope this helps
Old 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

scottyb, could you post a pic of a diode? when i got my pkg from you I had what i am thinkings was a diode with it. I installed it and when i was servicing the cart after the golf seaon I saw it laying in the bottom of the cart.. is it white with a small silver wire sticking out from each side? Thanks,
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That sounds like it. I don't have a pic of a diode handy but I'm sure Google can find you one
Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=diode
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Scotty & Yurtle... I will post a pick this evening and you can tell me.. The last thing i need to do is replace a 2 yr old alltrax controller...
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO