lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 EZGo Marathon Electric Just Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danali View Post
I haven't found an exact elect diagram for mine. More specific to your point,
Is the first diagram in the stickies at the top of the EZGO electric page not the one for your cart?
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Danali
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Is the first diagram in the stickies at the top of the EZGO electric page not the one for your cart?
It looks very similar except:

1. It clearly shows for example one side of the key switch going to the first battery in the chain, and the other side of the key switch going to the last battery in the 36 volt chain. I have owned this cart for 7 years and it was wired considerably different than that.

2. The main problem with the diagram, is it doesn't show the smaller wires coming out of the control box (the black wire and white wire for forward and reverse, and the blue wire that I haven't a clue what it does). It also doesn't show the micro on top of the pot box and where those wires go, and it doesn't show the wiring esp the small posts on the solenoid.

Interesting you should ask that right now. I just returned from a golf cart dealer and I was able to look at multiple carts with the same electrical gear as mine, and no 2 were wired the same. My ignition switch is going to the control box side of the micro on top of the pot box and the other ign wire goes to the small solenoid post that connects to the other side of the micro on the pot box. Confuses the heck out of me just trying to describe it.
Danali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Danali
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
The flow should be as follows:
#1 battery positive to;
Key switch common to;
Key switch non common to;
F/R Micro common to;
F/R Micro non common to;
Pot box micro common; Note: the pot box micro common is shared with a blue wire to the #1 input on the controller
Pot box micro non common goes to the small post on the solenoid.

Again this is the flow not the actual wiring diagram however, if you can picture the above in your mind you have the diagram.
Interesting......let me go take a look and think this through.

Here is another way of describing what I see (or don't see) happening. I know that when I press the accelerator, it "makes" the micro on top of the pot box. Only then did the solenoid "make" based solely on the fact that the micro "made". As soon as the micro clicked and made contact the solenoid would then click and close. For some reason that stopped happening. The micro seems to be the weak link. On the back terminal of this micro, is the blue wire going to the control box and it also has the red wire going to one side of the ignition switch. The other side of this micro has one wire only going to the large post of the solenoid (the side that is NOT made until it closes). My other ignition wire goes to the small post of the solenoid and the other small post of the solenoid is a black wire going to B- on the control box.

Again, if the blue wire is a common wire and is required to make the circuit, then it appears to the the culprit, as all the switches work, the solenoid works etc. Nothing happens when the micro is closed when the acc is pressed and subsequently the solenoid never closes.

I will think thru your scenario and decide if I should just rewire it that way. My ignition wires have been wired this way for the 7 years I have owned it, but I have yet to find another cart wired the same way as mine.

I am thinking of drawing a schematic, photographing it and uploading it. Maybe someone will be recognize something esp this blue wire and how it contributes to the circuit.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Danali
Not Yet Wild

[/QUOTE]I am thinking of drawing a schematic, photographing it and uploading it. Maybe someone will be recognize something esp this blue wire and how it contributes to the circuit.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I took my crayons out and..........just kidding. This is not all the wiring of course, but it is the key wiring for the micro on the pot box, ignition, solenoid etc. With any luck this will make sense to someone, esp the blue wire on the one side of the mirco above the pot box. It looks like the blue wire is a key wire in the circuit but I have not seen another cart wired this way. Any feedback is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't recognize that configuration, I will let someone more ezgo controller orientated speak up but for my 2 cents...your solenoid doesn't look like it is wired right. Recheck your diagram and cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
Danali
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I don't recognize that configuration, I will let someone more ezgo controller orientated speak up but for my 2 cents...your solenoid doesn't look like it is wired right. Recheck your diagram and cart.
Double and triple checked. That is the way it has been wired from the beginning. However, I admit I saw no carts at the dealer's location wired the same way. I took a photograph before pulling any switches or rewiring to be sure I remembered it correctly. Thanks so much for your efforts and hope to have anyone else throw in their 2 cents as well.........I am stumped and close to just replacing the controller. I have tried everything else.

Thanks again.............
Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #17
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Here is the factory wiring. Use it to make sure everything traces and confirms according to this diagram. If all wiring is accurate to this diagram then maybe you can start isolating and troubleshooting components.

You know sometimes when the chalk board is so full of scribbling it's hard to read you should probably erase it all and start over.

HTH.

pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think pggroves is right. I got my first cart like that. virtually every body and their brother had tried their hand at DC wiring under the seat on that cart before it was given to me. It ran...but it had about 5 nagging problems. With the help of these guys here and a couple of diagrams (none matched my cart exactly) I was able to wire it according to the working theory. If you wire your cart as this diagram...it is going to work! You have some problems with your ignition and solenoid wiring in your drawing. I had my old cart rewired in an afternoon and every one of the 5 nagging problems disappeared.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #19
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you take the flow I described in my last reply and apply it to the wiring diagram by pggroves it is exactly the same. Your problem is with one of the wires. The wire has either gone bad due to corrosion intrusion or a bad connection. Even in the case of yours where the wiring does not match the diagram above something is not carrying the signal ie. the wire on to the next switch/ micro. Test each wire end to end with a known voltage source and you will find the problem. From your drawing it appears that the f/r switch micros have been totally by passed or you did not indicate them in your illustration.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #20
Danali
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
From your drawing it appears that the f/r switch micros have been totally by passed or you did not indicate them in your illustration.

Correct. I just didn't include them. The black/white f/r wires run from the control box, thru the pot box, and finally to the f/r switch mounted on the manual f/r switch inside the cart, and I did check these with the ohm meter and all checked out fine.

I think it would be worth taking a shot at rewiring it. It doesn't look like it would be that hard and I certainly don't seem to have much to lose at this point. With Hanna (and possibly Ike) keeping me idle and indoors I certainly have the time. I will let you know either way if I get her going.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone has any other suggestions I certainly am receptive.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO