lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Knocking noise in 96

I am confused,, I just sold a 2002, g16, it dad a very noticeable, knock. I did adjust the valves, thinking that was it, still there, so after research, found some posts about a oil flapper in these engines, they have no bushings or barring, so they wear out, and when the get loose they knock,,,IS THIS TRUE?so I sold the cart,,, now yesterday I looked a a new cart,, 1996, lifted nice tires and mags, real nice cart,, almost the same price I sold the other one for,,, I go and we start it,, it has the same knocking noise,, I am confused;; should this engine do this.......or, is this oil flapper bad in both,,, any comments will be very welcome thanks''''
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Knocking noise in 96

No "flapper" per se. It does have a "dipper" attached to bottom of piston rod to "splash" oil around, hence the term "splash oiling". Noisey yamahas sometimes only have primary clutch problems to blame for their noise.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

hi cgtec, now I am more confused,, if you look at a internal diagram of a g16 engine you will see a separate part, called the flapper, it sits in its own holes, with no bushings or bearings. I think this is the noise,,, I am just looking for the answer before I buy this cart,, we did remove the cover on the clutch,, all rollers were nice and round, ad it works freely. this is an internal noise,, any other thoughts would be helpful'
Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Knocking noise in 96

I did check some more ,and found there is a dipper on some engines, 2 boltshold it on, so now ime not sure which this is, was wondering about the engine in a 1996;;; can anyone chime in, what about this engine,, this cart is really nice and I think I can get a good price on it, he is moving and wants it gone,, my last Yamaha was a 2002 ultima, anybody had experience with a 96 engine??? thanks all
Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Does the cart have an air inlet on the body about where your left leg would be? If so, it is a G14 with the older style jn5 motor, similar to G2-G9 motor. If not, it is a G16 with the newer style jr3 engine. Both have a "dipper", but the newer motor has it cast onto the rod cap, instead of a seperate piece.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

hi, cgtec, sure glad you are helping me,,,,sounds like you been playing with these for a while, I did buy the cart, he came to a price I could not refuse, he said it had a new primary 2 years ago, and has been keeping up with all the proper maintenance;; I will go all through it in the spring,, I know the oil was black,, I will use a real good synthetic. I should of looked at the plate, then I would know what the model was, all I know is he said its a 96.. gonna pick it up next weekend.. . what else should I look for? what wt. oil would you use, I thought 10w40syn? I am gonna insert an image if I can. cant figure out how to insert picture, it wants a url and my picture in in my computer,, anyway, thanks for the help. my main concern was because its a 96. I will send a picture if I can figure out how.... its not bad, lifted,chrome rims big tires,rear seat, top, lights, berg color....... thanks ps--- I am pretty sure it had no hole for air intake, I think it was the one piece air assembly on top of engine, that makes it a g16?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Doctord
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You may want to check the compression, could be something more
Doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

If what you said is true (no air inlet, flat panel airfilter) than yes, its G16. Also, on this body style, fuel tank on driver side = G14, tank on pass. side =G16 or newer. To add picture from phone or pc, hit "Go advanced" button, then click paperclip at top of dialog box.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
I am confused,, I just sold a 2002, g16, it dad a very noticeable, knock. I did adjust the valves, thinking that was it, still there, so after research, found some posts about a oil flapper in these engines, they have no bushings or barring, so they wear out, and when the get loose they knock,,,IS THIS TRUE?so I sold the cart,,, now yesterday I looked a a new cart,, 1996, lifted nice tires and mags, real nice cart,, almost the same price I sold the other one for,,, I go and we start it,, it has the same knocking noise,, I am confused;; should this engine do this.......or, is this oil flapper bad in both,,, any comments will be very welcome thanks''''
I would not be to concerned about it. My 1996 G16 knocks the same way. I think its just normal clutch wear. Its been doing that since I got it. It does not bother the performance. And the knock only occurs at accelleration. And its not getting any worse.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

not sure if pictures are in ,,,,,,,,,, if so on appearance only, if it runs good, how much??? do you think its worth,Outlook.zip thanks also gas tank is on pass. side,,g16?,thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha