lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2014, 04:51 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan Ranger 160 batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonlem View Post
I am running in to the same problem in my area. All of the dealers that I have spoken to are limited in what they stock. Most keep the 875 in an 8 volt battery. I had one place quote me on the 890 and Ranger 160s. He said that he would order them in and sell the 890 for 149.00 and the ranger for 159.00. At 10.00 per battery more, I may just go with the Ranger 160. That is only 60.00 over the life of the pack. That should be worth it for the extra amp hours!
With the same average use, the Ranger 160 Pack will last longer and the cost per month over the respective lifespans is only $0.01 per month.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #12
leonlem
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie! Looks like the Ranger is my best option. I am going to tell my dealer to order them Monday. Now I just need to order a charger from Scotty and I'm set!
leonlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Johnnie! Looks like the Ranger is my best option. I am going to tell my dealer to order them Monday. Now I just need to order a charger from Scotty and I'm set!
On both batteries and charger.

I just posted this in another thread, but it fits here also.

Quote:
As received by the customer, new batteries only have about 75% of their maximum storage capacity, and have to be broken in properly to reach their full potential.

Be sure to charge the new batteries before you use them the first time. It's okay to test the cart to make sure the batteries are wired correctly, but don't take it out for a drive until the batteries receive a full charge after being installed in cart.

The first charge often takes a long time. Six to ten hours isn't unusual and some new battery packs have taken upwards of twenty hours, so the back-up timer (typically 16 hours) may shut-off the charger before the pack is fully charged and the charger may have to be re-started to reach a full charge.

Everybody's cart usage is different, but for the first dozen or two charge cycles avoid discharging below about 75% SoC. If your cart usage is light, try to discharge to 90% SoC or lower on your daily trips and intentionally take some longer trips to get them below 80% SoC.
Basically, use the batteries at least a bit, but not too much for the first two to four weeks of daily use, then use them like you normally would.

For maximum lifespan, recharge after each use.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
leonlem
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all of your help Johnnie! I ordered my batteries today and the dealer said that he should have them late this week or early next week. I am also ordering my charger from Carts Unlimited today. Now I just have to wait!
leonlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
............Now I just have to wait!
Not quite as bad as the maternity ward waiting room, but close.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #16
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought these batteries and LOVE them so far. They charge to 53.1V after 12 hours of charge.

Never got close to running them down in one day. I did drive a few miles to the in-laws house, them back home and loaded up the golf clubs and went to the driving range. Some buddies came by and needed another person in their game so I played with them and took my cart. Went to the clubhouse for a drink and came home. I was home about 20 minutes and another friend shows up so I play another 18 holes. When I came home I had plenty of juice left. I do not remember the actual voltage but it was not that far down.

I was worried it would get me stranded but I was surprised. They are taller than the stock batteries but fit with a little trimming on the hold down bracket.

I would recommend them.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
I have a set of 8 Deka GC45 batteries, so far they have been great, coupled with DPI charger.
How do you like that DPI charger?
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroGator View Post
How do you like that DPI charger?
You directed the question at beach cart, but I'll toss in my $0.02.

I like my DPI chargers (I have a 36V and a 42V) for many reasons, listed in no particular order.
* They have user selectable charge profiles, so you can pick the one best suited for your batteries.
* They use dV/dT to terminate the charge so the batteries are actually fully charged.
* They go into float charge after the regular charge cycle terminates, so you start out with a fully charged pack even if you don't use it every day.
* The float charge feature is the optimal way to keep batteries from getting sulfated plates during long term storage.
* They have a step-down transformer input rather than a switching power supply, so they are less susceptible to failures caused by fluctuations and spikes on the AC power line.
* They sense the battery voltage inside the charger, so a dirty Auxiliary contact in the DC output plug doesn't cause issues.
* They are reasonably priced.

There are other chargers on the market with the same qualities, except the last one.
They are definitely the best Bang for the Buck.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #19
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks as always JohnnieB!
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Not quite as bad as the maternity ward waiting room, but close.
What's that? As a true do it yourselfer, we had ours at home.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO