lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
criley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Question for the paint pros out there

I'm getting ready to attempt a rattle can/spongepaint camo paint job on my '95 Medalist.
This cart has a metal body I believe.

The paint is intentionally NOT going to be glossy (would kinda defeat the purpose of camo) but I will probably lay some sort of final sealer over the top to protect it some.

What do I need to do to prep this thing for paint?

Can I just clean it really well, degrease it, and start painting? Should I sand it first?

Is there anything special I need to do for the plastic roof?

Thanks in advance guys
criley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question for the paint pros out there

I'm no expert but you will want to clean it well and degrease as well as good sanding. You don't need to go down to the metal but you will want to make sure everything is scuffed up so that the paint will adhere.

As for the roof you will need to do the same as well as spraying an adhesion promoter before the final color. If you skip the adhesion promoter the paint will never stick to the plastic (assuming you aren't using something like krylon fusion and even using that I would recommend the adhesion promoter)
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
FlQuacker
Not Yet Wild

I'm definitely no pro, but just painted mine...As in any paint job the end result starts with the prep. Did a light sanding just to get off all the old oxidation. Think just down to 800 grit. Wet sanding. Wiped it all down with some thinner...Paint stuck great. Didn't touch it for a week then washed and waxed. Did the top with fusion and am very pleased.
FlQuacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
criley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks hombres!

I just found the paint and body section - guess I probably should have posted this in there. Maybe one of the admins can move it.
criley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO