lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Rotozip
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default To Speed Spring or Not

Hi guys. I am new to this forum but have been lurking for awhile. Really good info here. I recently got my first cart. A 2009 Yamaha Drive, 6 inch jakes lift with 23" tires. I ordered the speed spring but after reading the forums some more I am not sure I should install it. Do we have anyone that has used it for an extended amount of time and has reported it causing any issues?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2230.jpg (192.5 KB, 0 views)
Rotozip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: To Speed Spring or Not

Wow that's a nice cart.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Rotozip
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm assuming you're talking about the stiffer secondary clutch spring? Not sure, but I wouldn't call that a "speed spring", more like a "torque spring". The secondary clutch springs typically are stiffer than stock, some more than others, which puts pressure on the sheaves and makes them more difficult to open/spread and shift. This effectively keeps the cart in "lower gear" and makes it easier to climb steep hills and pull heavier loads.

No long term negative effects.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The Drive "Team" transaxles have had some problems with the collar that the govenor fork rides on and can lose the "govenor effect" when it wears. I'm with gctech on this one, I don't install a speed spring on "The Drive's" anymore. Just my 2 cents.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Rotozip
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah slonomo it is actually a stiffer spring you replace on the governor that I was wondering about. Smallblock right now I just have the 10 mm bolt cranked in some and it is faster. I think I will just keep it as is.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Usually a shorter or stronger spring. The issue is the spring pulls against the governor, your pedal pulls on the spring. The more pressure from a stronger spring and/or it is adjusted to a higher speed the more pressure is on every part from the pedal cable to the governor parts themselves. The governor just pulls the throttle off more the faster you go. A G9 or G1 will wear out the pedal cable much faster if you have the governor all the way up or modified to go faster, even though on a G9 there is not much difference from max to no governor. So if you take the governor off and put a throttle return spring on it takes a lot of strain off the cables. Some say take the governor out of the trans but few have any issues on older carts, the drive I don't know.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Rotozip
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks sho305 for that info. It's making more since now how all this governor stuff works on these carts. Since I did crank that 10mm nut in some I have noticed the accelerator is stiffer and I can see where that is putting more stress on the cable. I read I should adjust it to provide some slack where the cable connects to the pedal under the floor board.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Got it. I was thinking about the secondary spring. LOL.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Got it. I was thinking about the secondary spring. LOL.
Me too!

We change springs & helixes all the time on this little setup:

aacorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha