lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Txt dcs cart problems.

Hello. I am completely stumped trying to get a friends cart going. He said it started to slow down then stopped. It just had a rebuilt plum quick motor put in it and was running fine. I thought they mite have run it real low on voltage and burnt up the controller so I replaced it with a new alltrax dxc400. Still nothing, so I sent the motor back to plum quick and they checked it out and it was fine. So next I changed the solenoid. Still the same. Now the part that is puzzeling me is when I flip the run tow switch the controller powers up with key off. Also when I turn key on the solenoid clicks. If I switch from fwd to reverse the solenoid click. But the solenoid does not click with pedal. I ck'ed pedal switch with meter and switch opens and closes like its suppose to. When I did the controller troubleshooting I found there is no power at pin 7(blue wire) with the key on. I am completely lost here. Also I bypassed the reed switch. I ck'ed both fwd and rev micro switch and they both open and close as advertised. Anyone have any idea as to which direction to go to fix this dang thing.. Thanx... Eddie
Toplsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Txt dcs cart problems.

To get a DCX (or stock DCS) controller to power up, you have to have battery pack voltage on pins 6, 9 & 10.
Pins 9 & 10 get voltage when Run/Tow is flipped to Run, but to get voltage on pin-6, the F/R has to be in either F or R and the keyswitch has to be ON.

To get the solenoid to click, pack voltage has to be applied to pin-5, which in turn connects B- (Battery pack negative) to pin-7.

Sounds like the control wiring is royally screwed up. (Has it gotten wet recently?)

Pin-6 is where I'd start.
Pull the 10-pin connector off the controller (after flipping Run/Tow to Tow )

Measure voltage on pin-6 with key OFF and F/R in Neutral.
Should be zero volts. If not trace wire back and find out where the voltage is coming from.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok. First ,thanks for the reply JohnnieB. I checked for voltage at pin 6 with key off and fwd rev selector in neutral. No voltage. The controller still powers up. I tried a few things to see if things made a difference. If I move the 2 small red wires from the b+ Side of the solenoid to the controller side it doesn't power up. With the 2 small red wires on the controller side the voltage is 3 volts less than pack voltage like its suppose to be. With the 2 small red wires on the b+ side the solenoid reads pack voltage. The solenoid is wired per the ezgo manual but doesn't seem to be right.

Second. When doing the check for ITS it failed. I have pack voltage at pin 5 when pedal is depressed. I do not have any voltage at pin 2 with pedal up. Suppose to be 14-16. With the pedal up pin 1 is suppose to be 1.5-4.5 I believe. Anyway it's at 9.6 and goes down as pedal is pushed. I am assuming the ITS is toast as it is a brand new controller installed. Correct me if I am wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also. Would a bad ITS cause the controller to think that the pedal is depressed and cause a high pedal disabling which is why the solenoid doesn't click when pedal is pushed. Thanks again. Eddie

Last edited by Toplsvette; 07-07-2014 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Add text
Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toplsvette View Post
Ok. First ,thanks for the reply JohnnieB. I checked for voltage at pin 6 with key off and fwd rev selector in neutral. No voltage. The controller still powers up. I tried a few things to see if things made a difference. If I move the 2 small red wires from the b+ Side of the solenoid to the controller side it doesn't power up. With the 2 small red wires on the controller side the voltage is 3 volts less than pack voltage like its suppose to be. With the 2 small red wires on the b+ side the solenoid reads pack voltage. The solenoid is wired per the ezgo manual but doesn't seem to be right.

Second. When doing the check for ITS it failed. I have pack voltage at pin 5 when pedal is depressed. I do not have any voltage at pin 2 with pedal up. Suppose to be 14-16. With the pedal up pin 1 is suppose to be 1.5-4.5 I believe. Anyway it's at 9.6 and goes down as pedal is pushed. I am assuming the ITS is toast as it is a brand new controller installed. Correct me if I am wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also. Would a bad ITS cause the controller to think that the pedal is depressed and cause a high pedal disabling which is why the solenoid doesn't click when pedal is pushed. Thanks again. Eddie
Let's troubleshoot this one step at a time.

The DCX controller should not turn on (LED lit) until the is pack voltage on Pins 6, 9 & 10 simultaneously.
When the 10 pin connector is disconnected, there is no voltage on Pin-6 with key OFF.

With the 10 pin connector connected, is there voltage on Pin-6 with key OFF?

If so, find out where it is coming from.

------------
BTW: The ITS test procedure is different for a DCS controller and for a DCX controller. Which one is installed?

Also, HPD looks for the pedal switch contacts to open to tell if pedal is up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS Schematic - No Rev Diode - Pin-6 traced.jpg (211.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Johnnie. It is a dcx400 controller. I checked for voltage at pin 6 with it hooked up key off and no voltage. Same disconnected. When I switch the maintenance tow switch to run it powers up. 4 green flashing and then solid green. Any ideas or shud I send it back to evdrives to bench check it. Thanks again for you help.

Last edited by Toplsvette; 07-08-2014 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Correct text
Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's an Alltrax DCX control. Is the LED status light coming on when you power up? If yes what color and how many flashes before going solid green, (IF ever)
If red trouble code try counting the red flashes several times to be sure of the count.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX status codes.JPG (97.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty. I get 4 green flashes then solid green. I get no red flashes at all.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
sminclover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

toplevette my cart is doing the exact same thing, what did you do to fix it???
sminclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry I should have came back and posted the results. It turned out to be a set of bad brushes and busted brush holder. I sent the motor to plum quick and they said it was good. Must have got dropped in shipment or something. Ron sent me another brush holder and brushes and it runs fine now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO