lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
shidasko2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1979 electric textron ezgo wont go

No offense taken, I am up & beyond from being a golf cart expert. However, I was under the impression that since it stated 36volts on the side of the motor, that it would need the 36 to perform at all. I wasnt aware you could use a 12-24volt to test it.
The only reason I have been so far in depth with this thread that as I have a '77 version of same model and I have dealt with alot of headaches restoring it over the last 8 months. It has given me quite a bit experience.
Right now mine isnt running as my f&r cam is miswired causing a back build of voltage on both terminals so the motor isnt responding to anything.. like before you engage the pedal, and put it into either forward or reverse. I have voltage 36-40 coming out each post and 35.9 crossing solenoid and as soon as I depress pedal. (Releasing microswitch on speed control board) All the voltage @ solenoid & motor goes to zero.. so it tells me there are possibly two miswired components on mine.

However, I truly need to replace my f&r assemy as there is vertical crack going down the composite board from top to bottom contact. Also, there was some arcing before I added the needed jumper wire from contact 5 to negative side of solenoid.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack, however id figure id pop a question ontop of his.

But in your situation, if it is turning freely & 1/3 speed while hooked to 12deep cycle, then your motor is fine.

I still feel like you have 2-3 problems like I said earlier. What kind & how old are the batteries. Also its not 100% accurate with multimeter, but did you measure each cell hole and see if anything was less than 2.1 like 1.4 or lower is a dying cell.(please correct me on the correct bad cellvolt if im wrong) If you get zero, then you shall find an open cell and route of your problem. If 4/6 batteries are bad, then it would be best to replace all 6 at same time. This ensure further longevity and none of the batteries will suffer any unnecessary resistance.
shidasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #12
crash test dummy

i rebuilt a 71 and a 74 so they are familiar to me also
the 74 had the 94 controller upgrade ... man is that cool
the 71 i replaced everything from to f/r switch to the motor cables , even redid the resistors coils... the Foot Switch Board With Contacts and Foot Switch Wiper Contact were a *itch to change ... busted a knuckle wide open

the foot switch board is where i feel jhayward1775 needs to look for problems
Old 08-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #13
shidasko2
Not Yet Wild

I agree that is one of his problems, it sounds the circuit isnt being open he presses the pedal. Which could be most likely a miswire somewhere!
The scb wasnt that hard to remove. Only 9 cables to remove and then loosen the tightening nut. Hardest part was disconnecting the accelerator assembly as mine had rusted & seized badly.. im quite curious to hear his response about the batteries & his f&r switch.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
jhayward1775
Not Yet Wild

i appreciate all the responses, more than i was hoping for!!!! and I also appreciate all of the info from everyone who has restored one, it helps a ton...I bought a load tester, and 2 of the batteries are testing bad under a load, the others are testing good.....and when i removed the motor to test it, i wired f1/a1 and f2/a2 together as it stated on a youtube video, after looking at that picture above, im assuming that is the wrong wire configuration? once again thanks for the feedback!!!
jhayward1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayward1775 View Post
i wired f1/a1 and f2/a2 together as it stated on a youtube video, after looking at that picture above, im assuming that is the wrong wire configuration? once again thanks for the feedback!!!
the diagram took a week of discussing to get right
f1 = s1
f2 = s2
Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
jhayward1775
Not Yet Wild

so now i have a new problem, it rained while i was at work and my battery charger got wet, now i dont think it is working.......
Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #17
shidasko2
Not Yet Wild

Just remember if you replace the two dead batteries with brand,new ones, they will only be as efficient as your weakest (decent load battery). I mean you can scrap by just replacing two dead 6ers, however it will shorten their efficiency & amp capacity. On your 4 decent ones, were the water levels at the appropriate levels?

Let us know of your other problems that you have after you replace batteries & we can go from there. Apparently my multimeter bit the dust a few days ago & havent been able to fix mine. Figured out the microtoggle switch behind the swiper arm partially died.. alittle annoyed by that.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayward1775 View Post
so now i have a new problem, it rained while i was at work and my battery charger got wet, now i dont think it is working.......
Open it up and dry it off. Leaf blower won't hurt. Many electronics will take water, if they aren't powered up.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #19
jhayward1775
Not Yet Wild

again thanks!! the charger started to work when i dried it off, i refilled all of the batteries to just above the "leads" and only 4 worked with a load, i drained half the water off of all 6 of them and refilled them with distilled water mixed with epson salt, now all are taking a charge, and with the "renewed" energy the cart is running, now i will work on buying new batteries, so again thanks for all of the help!! you guys have been amazing!! lol now i can start on the '85 gas cart!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #20
jhayward1775
Not Yet Wild

just an add on, the 8oz of epson to 2 quarts of warm distilled water was a way to "desulfate" the batteries, and even if it is only a temp fix, at least now i know that the cart works!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO