lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Parts List resistor to solid state conversion

Does anybody have a parts list or what all needs to be changed when converting a resistor cart to solid state? I have a 1988 Ezgo Marathon that I'm converting. I picked up a controller set up used (see picture) and I need to know what else needs to be changed? Pot box, throttle linkage, etc? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller.jpg (19.8 KB, 0 views)
dherweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Parts List resistor to solid state conversion

Go here Carts Unlimited He has a kit with everything you will need
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks but as you see I have the controller, wiring, F/R switch etc. I only need to know what other parts need to be replaced. ScottyBs kit is great but for an old resistor budget cart not feasible for me. That's why I bought most of what I needed already. Just need a list of other parts to replace given the parts I got in the picture.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not an expert but my guess would be with what you already have you would still need a throttle of some sort that would work with your controller
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like you've got everything except a pot-box and throttle linkage.

If the existing wiper board and linkage are still functioning, you might be able to add some 1k resistors between the stationary studs and build a home-brew 5-speed throttle.

I saved a copy of the attached picture I found on-line a while back since I thought it was an inexpensive way to convert a resistor drive to a controller drive.

I don't have a schematic for it, but it looks fairly straightforward. When you first push the pedal, the pedal switch closes and when the wiper touches the first stationary stud, the controller sees 1K between the throttle input wires. Push the pedal further, the wiper touches the second stud and the controller sees 2k at the throttle input.

I'm not sure, but the setup in the picture might be for a 5k-0k throttle instead of a 0k-5K throttle, but it is just a matter of figuring out where to connect the throttle wires to get the correct output for the controller you have.

Also, you could play some games with the resistor values to give you a slower first speed. Just keep the total Ohms when the pedal is on the floor to below about 6k. (The 1204/5 controllers shut down if they see more than about 7k at the throttle input)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Five-speed wiper switch.JPG (188.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
crash test dummy

i dont know if this will help but here is my 74 sweeper switch with the controller from a 94
it has the resistors

also i think he has a potentiometer ..it looks like one i replaced last month on an ezgo

EZGO Marathon 1989-94 Potentiometer Switch

can you separate parts and take photo ?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did actually get the potentiometer as well. It wasn't in the picture the guy I bought it from posted but it was there when I picked it up. The controller is a Curtis 1204 275 Amp. With the 2.5 hp GE motor that is stock I expect somewhere between 15-17 MPH flat ground. A future upgrade may be to the 1205 400 amp controller to get a bit more. I'm hoping I get better than 8-10 uphill as there are a lot of hills in my community. This will be a street cart but I at least want it to go uphill faster than I can walk lol. I got everything in the picture plus the pot for $95 so I think a great deal.

I won't install it this weekend as I'm stripping the cart for paint now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140906_165609_resized.jpg (107.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140906_165614_resized.jpg (73.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140906_165603_resized.jpg (138.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140906_165627_resized.jpg (153.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140906_165617_resized.jpg (81.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
crash test dummy

great deal !! .. with that stuff i would say just a longer accelerator rod and a way to mount the stuff

found some photos in this post

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-stumped.html
Old 09-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
dherweck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm going to mount everything where the current resistor IPT box is. I'll gut the resistor box and use the shell to mount everything. I'll figure out the throttle rod when I get there. Right now, I'm drilling out rivets, pulling off rubber trim and taking the 15 bolts off the rubber front end cap for paint......body is completely straight so just some light scuffing, then some primer and paint tonight of tomorrow.

I've put up another post I'm struggling with as well. Tying to figure out what mods I need to do to mount the front axle weldment from a 89-94 to this 88. Can't find out if it fits, if the holes line up, what I need to fabricate for the steering etc. I think the stock steering may work and just need to mount over instead of under the spindle. we will see when I get there.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The fixed resistors mounted on a wiper board are obviously the easiest and pretty ingenious. With a little more effort, you may be able to mount a real pot (just a pot, not the whole pot box) on the wiper board, to get a wider range of speeds, but who really drives without the pedal to the metal? You'd have to find one with the required resistance given the wiper board's range of motion.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO