lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
dulay
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO electric battery cables HOT

I bought 6 new EXIDE GC2 batteries at Samsclub about 9 months ago. I noticed that whenever I ran the cart, some of the cables get HOT, and I mean HOT! One battery in particular.... I touched the terminals of that battery one second and burnt my finger. I tried to take the cable off that battery and it was fused to the terminal. Got a new battery, but the guy at sams club tells me that there is nothing that could make the battery hot. Wondering what could be going wrong? Should I change all the cables?

Thanks in advance

R Dulay
dulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO electric battery cables HOT

Yep..... sounds like you need new cables.

It's always a good idea to put on new cables when installing new batteries. If not you may not get the full potential out of your new batteries. Obviously your not, with those cables heating.

Be sure to get those new cables tight too.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
dulay
Not Yet Wild

thanks for your help. appreciate it. Now on to the rest of the issues with the cart :-)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

After you run it a while be sure and check the cables to make sure they are still tight. After that you should check them AT LEAST once a month. Its not a matter of "If" they get loose because they will get loose. After the first week check the water levels in the batteries....some batteries will use more water than others. Usage will also have an effect on water usage.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
After you run it a while be sure and check the cables to make sure they are still tight. After that you should check them AT LEAST once a month. Its not a matter of "If" they get loose because they will get loose. After the first week check the water levels in the batteries....some batteries will use more water than others. Usage will also have an effect on water usage.
I have my new Trojans on a monthly water check and cable tightness check on the 28th due to I installed the batteries on 10/28/08. I then clean the batteries off every other month, re-coat the lug/cable ends with protectant and move my light wires to 2 different batteries to keep them from draining the same 2. I have it set up in my work email to send me reminders to do this 3 times on the 28th ! With the cost of new Batteries, I need to get as much life as possible out of them and I'm going to do what ever I can to get it.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
dulay
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply... When you write you move your "light 2 wires".. what are you referring to?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Instead of having my lights wired to a voltage reducer or a extra 12v battery I have them wired to 2 of the batteries in the pack, I just move these wires to 2 more batteries in the pack every other month to keep them from putting a additional drain on the same 2 batteries all the time.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
bucs
Not Yet Wild

end of the battery cable between the 5th and 6th battery melted and replaced with 4 gauge cable and it gets hot when used.
bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
bucs
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs View Post
end of the battery cable between the 5th and 6th battery melted and replaced with 4 gauge cable and it gets hot when used.
Electric golf cart batteries charge to only 38.1.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
bucs
Not Yet Wild

Does the battery tender work as well as the battery charger?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO