lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '88 still no start

(I meant '89, not '8.

With the Par Car finally in my garage, I've been tinkering with it. Removed the carb again, and discovered that I put the float in upside down. That would explain my flooding. Cleaned it all up, and using the manual, I think I got it all back together properly now. Got everything hooked back up, choke and throttle seem to be operating properly.

It was turning over slowly unless the spark plug was out. I removed the battery cables to clean them up. The positive terminal was disintegrated. Replaced the cable and it turns over like it should, but now I don't appear to get any spark (hooked up a spark tester to it).

Checked the coil, per the manual, and got 1.3 ohm on the primary, and 13k ohm on the secondary. Manual says 3.4 to 4.2 ohm and 6k to 9k ohm, respectively. Would this be out far enough to indicate a bad coil?

Guess I'll have to order one and find out. At least the price isn't too outrageous. The cable also measured a little high, but I don't see where I can order a new one.
scubajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '88 still no start

Hi scubajoe Think I would set the valves don't take much to get out of adjustment and they won't run. Just a suggestion, Good Luck
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I did see the section on timing in the manual. I'll give that a try today.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Not 100% clear on the procedure described, but looking at the wiring diagram, since I know I don't have a spark, I don't think timing would affect that. I think I need to get spark first, and then set the timing. Am I missing something? As long as the generator is spinning the engine, then the micro-switch, solenoid, and key switch are all working, then I should be getting spark, but I'm not.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, well, I don't have power to the coil. So much for my theory. I'm not afraid to say that I don't know what I'm doing. Help!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
jeggers
Gone Wild

Columbia

Scuba, I will look at the wireing diagram and post later, going to work now.
jeggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
jeggers
Gone Wild

Columbia

Do you have 12v to the micro switch orange wire(remove wire when checking)?

With the micro switch closed do you have 12v remove blue wires and check spade ternminal ?

Do you have 12v at the blue wire to the coil(remove wire when checking)?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum..._1989_GSEL.pdf

Page 89
Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, I have 12V to the micro-switch (Orange), Other side of the switch when closed, blue wire at coil. The bulb in my spark checker is bad, so I just touched the spark plug to ground. Still no spark.

What's next? And what are the two wires attached to the terminals on the coil, that go through the fan shroud?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Adjusting timing statically:
  • [a]Remove spark plug from cylinder head.
    [b]Position plug on top of air shroud so base contacts shroud retaining bolt.
    [c]Attach spark plug wire to plug.
    [d]Attach a jumper wire between battery positive terminal and coil positive terminal.
    [e]Position crankshaft in the forward advanced timing position.
    [f]Move ignition module clockwise the full extend of the slotted holes, and then, counter-clockwise until a spark occurs at the plug.
    [g]Lock down the retaining screw at this point.

I was OK up until step e. Then they completely lost me. I have no idea how to find the forward advanced timing position.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
jeggers
Gone Wild

Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajoe View Post

What's next? And what are the two wires attached to the terminals on the coil, that go through the fan shroud?
To the ignition module.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar