lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine shaft question... HELP!

Very nice!!
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That looks like fun I wonder if it would keep up with my workhorse?

What are you gonna do about the clutch alignment? Is this Shredder II a kit or a set of plans to build from?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
MNTravis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
I would not cut it. Your putting on a clutch from someone thats no longer in buisness. Replacement parts are not available. Lets say your clutch breaks there is no new replacement. Sell it and buy a straight shaft clutch that will fit the motor, One you can buy replacement parts for.
I hear you about the clutch being from Comet who is now defunct (whic really sucks). I have heard rumors that the company that bought their assets will be starting up production in a year or so, so I have some hope. I actually almost went with the CVTech PowerBloc 80, but all said and done it would be about $800 to get their product in hand. I have faith in the Comet clutch and I am seeing lots of stuff floating around ebay and such, so if in the event I had a problem, I think I could get what I need to get it back up and running.

As for getting a different clutch, as per comet the one I have is the right model for my engine/shaft set up. For whatever reason the STRAIGHT 1 1/8" keyed shaft Comet 94C driver clutch narrows out about 2" into the shaft where the key stops, and just about corresponds to the outside location where the belt rides on the shaft. Even the mounting bolt they provide you is the length needed to not come into contact with the engine shaft until after it passes through about 1/3 of the clutch's width.

The problem 100% lies with the engine compartment of my kart, I have a narrow area that the engine/clutch must fit within or it will collide with the trailing arm IRS setup (see picture) as the trailing arms go up and down as per the red arrows. By cutting it off I am buying 1 3/8" of space which gives me just the right amount of clearance and lines up the clutches and everything else just beautifully.

I really do appreciate your advice though. I was really hoping that somebody could give me some advice about the act of cutting it off, as per the first set of pics I posted. I could take the whole new engine to a machine shop and have it done that way, but I would bet they would want the shaft pulled from the engine; which I beleive would require a complete tear down of the poor little new engine!! My idea was to use my handheld metal cutting band saw, I guess if I tried it and it wasnt working right I could then take the shaft to a machine shop. Does anybody know if you have to teardown the whole engine to get the shaft out?? I love working on engines, but almost cry at the idea of having to tear down a factory new engine!! OR, we could do it cowboy method, start the engine, run it up to 3600 rpm and apply a handheld hack saw to the shaft as it spins away!

MNTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Can a machinist broach cut the clutch to fit all the way on?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
MNTravis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That looks like fun I wonder if it would keep up with my workhorse?

What are you gonna do about the clutch alignment? Is this Shredder II a kit or a set of plans to build from?
The Shredder II is a kit/plans, depending on what you order. Probably a good 300-500 hours of building to get it done. UBuilditPlans.com is the company that made/sells the plans.

If/when I cut the shaft to the size I need, I think it will line up just right as per my expert eyeballing skills. I have the ability to make left/right slots in the mounts if needed. I think I can get it right the first time and I won't have to cheat. I was thinking that forward/backward slots would be most needed, but as long as the center to center distance of the two clutches is to specs, the belt would need to be changed if it didn't fit right instead of moving the engine back slightly to adjust tension?!?!

The big question is how to cut off the shaft????
Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the shaft is going to be harder than the hubs of hell
Old 05-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
MNTravis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Can a machinist broach cut the clutch to fit all the way on?
I thought about that, but worried that it tapers in for engineering reasons and having them machine it out would make the clutch inoperable? Anybody know about this, otherwise I will make some measurements, but I suspect that even if the clutch was 1 1/8" wide all the way out I would still have to modify the shaft of the engine?? Guess I need to go do some measuring!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

that looks like a lot more fun than golf anyway. when i grow up i might build something like that. don't tell anyone here on this post....but.....if i wasn't so deep into my cart i'd start tommorrow on something like this.
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #19
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok.....if you're set on slicing that bad boy off.........

1. move everything over to the shade tree.

2. figure out how much you want off.

ok..here's the really low tech part

3. with portaband saw progressively cut some shaft off leaving some of the tapped hole as a guide for the deeper hole you will need to drill and tap for your clutch. this will keep everything centered and straight.

this way you don't have to remove the shaft from motor, and can do it from the comfort of your own shade tree. what could go wrong.

anyone can do this stuff with right tools, but with no fear, skill and attitude..........
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
MNTravis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinandrew View Post
ok.....if you're set on slicing that bad boy off.........

1. move everything over to the shade tree.

2. figure out how much you want off.

ok..here's the really low tech part

3. with portaband saw progressively cut some shaft off leaving some of the tapped hole as a guide for the deeper hole you will need to drill and tap for your clutch. this will keep everything centered and straight.

this way you don't have to remove the shaft from motor, and can do it from the comfort of your own shade tree. what could go wrong.

anyone can do this stuff with right tools, but with no fear, skill and attitude..........
Haven't decided if I am set on that yet. The other idea is to machine out the inside of the driver clutch shaft. I am going to examine it tonight to see if that is an option or not?!?!!?!? Would be alot easier, and I bet pretty cheap to have a machine shop drill out the clutch 1 3/8 of an inch at 1 1/8" in diameter. I may just go buy a 1 1/8" bit and try it myself with the drill press??? What could go wrong???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts