lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
bigred-driver
Gone Wild

Default Front end alignment help!!

I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get the front end aligned on my 2000 workhorse. I've read a lot of post on the subject but none have really helped. On my old marathon it had one tie rod so when you turned it both wheels turned at the same time. Now with two tie rods just when I think I've got it, the wheels don't measure up right and they don't look right either. I know there should be an 1/8th inch toe in but I need someone who has a tried and true method of getting this thing right.

Thanks, Jimbo
bigred-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Front end alignment help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred-driver View Post
I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get the front end aligned on my 2000 workhorse. I've read a lot of post on the subject but none have really helped. On my old marathon it had one tie rod so when you turned it both wheels turned at the same time. Now with two tie rods just when I think I've got it, the wheels don't measure up right and they don't look right either. I know there should be an 1/8th inch toe in but I need someone who has a tried and true method of getting this thing right.

Thanks, Jimbo
Sounds like you need to start over, your going to need to get both tubes adjusted to the same amount. I use a tape measure but you can count threads on the tie-rods. on each tube one of your tie-rods ends is a left-hand thread. you want to get the tie-rods ends sticking out (equal amounts) of the tube. You need to get both tubes the same length with the tie rods sticking out the same amount. hook the rods back up, then when adjusting you need to adjust both sides equal amounts at the same time. (example: moving the top of the tube towards the rear will make the tires toe-in) this is the same on both sides/both tubes. use a tape measure or a curtain rod to achieve your toe-in amount.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
bigred-driver
Gone Wild

Thanks Jon, can this be done with the wheels off the ground?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

You want to set the toe with the wheels on the ground. can you post a pic of the front axle and tie rods? all the ones I looked at don't have the steering box installed, did you lift kit come with longer tie-rod tubes?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
bigred-driver
Gone Wild

Jon, I was sitting there eating my breakfast thinking about what you said about getting both tie rod end equal in length, I wanted to hit myself in the head with a hammer. I consider myself fairly mechanicaly gifted but I can't believe that I couldn't see the that those tie rods were not equal. I'm such a butt head. No wonder when I was adjusting them they came out unequal. The new tubes where the same size.
I did have the wheels on the ground but I need to take the tie rods off and equal them out. Thanks and I will let you know how it come out.

Jimbo
Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Bigred...
If you want to make it easier to adjust the tie rods, here is a little trick I used when I was fielding race cars.

Take two pieces of card board, approx 12" square and put some good ol' grease inbetween them, work them around in a circle a couple of times to spread out the grease. Then put this under your tire (one set up for each side). This will allow the tires to turn freely and not try to scrub on the floor when turning the tie rod centers. Also if you tie your steering wheel in the centered and straight position prior to adjusting you'l have better results in not having that irratating crocked steering wheel. I have also used a piece of sheet metal placed up next to each wheel to measure the outside of the tire from side to side. measure in front of the tire and behind the tire and keep adjusting until you get the setting until you want/need. Using the two pieces of sheet metal may require you to get some help holding and measuring. Hope this helps.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
bigred-driver
Gone Wild

Rodger, thanks for the tips. I finally got the front end aligned after a bit of work. I did use two staight edges and bungi corded them to the outside of the tires and then went to work getting the front end straight. That work out great and the cart tracks straight down the road.

Jimbo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO