lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
jinx
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default cushman tranny info.

There's lots of end play on splined side of shaft of tranny...normal? Bearings seem good and everything else is tight...shifts threw all the gears(3) and reverse.This thing is leaking everywhere anybody know where I can get seals and gaskets for this? "It's not a two piece." Says T96-1C...W G DIV...N6 on it. Here's photo" of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cushman1 024.jpg (81.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg cushman1 021.jpg (54.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cushman1 023.jpg (100.6 KB, 4 views)
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: cushman tranny info.

That's a Borg-Warner T96-10, 3-speed.. Cushman used them for many years in the Truckster/Haulster vehicles.. It was also used in some AMC and Jeep products many years ago behind their four cylinder engines..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
jinx
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

thank you!!! Now I know what I'm looking for, for parts. I've figured out I only need rear seal...and now gaskets for everything,but I can make those! Is there supposed to be so much end play on splined end? Cause back side has NO play...Will new bearing fix's that?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
sc3283
Getting Wild

Cushman

Ford toploader 3 speed gaskets will fit as well as many internals...
a brg wont fix the end play.....
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
jinx
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I went and took apart the top and both ends of the tranny and cleaned everything up,(left internals alone). Found gaskets weren't leaking but seal on backside needs replaced. Seal says "victor 49612" on it.Now...and your gona laugh at me...there is only third gear! Shifts fine, but wont spin in 1st, 2nd, or reverse,and neutral is 3rd gear not free spinning...Anybody know what I screwed up? Once again here's photo's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cushman 001.jpg (91.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 003.jpg (101.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 007.jpg (50.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 005.jpg (44.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
sc3283
Getting Wild

Cushman

are you sure you have each shift lever in neutral when trying to shift to other gears? if trans is in 2 gears...it will not shift and can lock up (not spin)
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
jinx
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Fixed problem! When flushed out tranny, I put ends back on and mashed 2nd gears tapered brass gear/sync together with no oil. Played with it for almost an hour and figured out it was hangen up in keyway because gear wasn't moving. Tapped loose and kept sticking...thought I ruined it! Turns out the inside tapper floats on the oil! The fellers at drivetrain.com have a tech. line and he helped me out with it...found out the end play is normal to. They also sell everything for the borg warrner t96 if you need something for it. Here's the link for it; http://www.drivetrain.com/.../borg_w...rhaul_kit.html
Once again thanks guys! now Im on to the brakes!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts