lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Brad2002ez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 episodic dogging and dies

I bought a used 2002 ezgo golf cart with lift kit earlier this year. Have had 3 occasions where I have been stranded and am now concerned about reliability. After monitoring I have found the following symptoms:

I notice that after sitting for a couple of days it takes a lot of starter effort to get it going, perhaps 15 to 30 seconds of starter with choke on before it begins to start - once it catches it runs fine.

Can be driving it a moderate continuous speed for 10minutes and it will begin to dog down, sputter and stop. Will not start, but after 10 minutes of sitting, it fires back up like nothing was wrong. During one of the dead periods when I was stranded I began troubleshooting around the fuel pump and filter. Pulled the filter (looked dry like nothing was in it), blew air through it with my mouth and confirmed it was not blocked. Blew air back into the fuel tank (3/4full) to confirm tank line was not blocked. Pulled the vacuum/pulse line from fuel pump and could feel pulse with finger on end of line. Pulled pump discharge line and confirmed fuel spurting from discharge. Put it all back together, still nothing, but after 5 more minutes of sitting, tried one more time before calling for tow and it fired up and was able to drive back without a problem.

I have had it die one more time since, this time just waited it out and then it restarted and got me back. No difference on full or empty tank - seems to happen in both cases.

No liquid leaks from engine, but initial starting effort has me thinking the fuel bowl is empty and perhaps a vacuum leak on pulse line is making it difficult to get the fuel pump pumping to get the initial fuel to the carb?

Looking for suggestions. Was going to replace fuel pump and all fuel lines, perhaps pull and clean the carb? Any suggestions Thanks
Brad
Brad2002ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 episodic dogging and dies

Welcome to BGW Brad !!
Have you tried loosening the gas cap? Sounds stupid but I have seen clogged fuel tank vents cause the symptoms you are describing.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Brad2002ez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is certainly worth a try. Will hit the tank vent with compressed air too. Very strange gremlin here.

I have been focusing on fuel side, not electrical - from the symptoms, does this seem reasonable or might I be looking in the wrong place. In all instances it has been dry - not riding in the rain or wet terrain. I realize moisture in electrical systems can cause intermittent gremlins until the moisture drys out - but not the case here.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

You said the fuel filter was dry, that sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Hows the compression? Have you tried adjusting the valves? Cleaning the carb is definitely in order.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Brad2002ez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have not checked the compression, but will next weekend when back at the cottage where the cart is. Have not adjusted the valves either. I will start by removing the carb and cleaning it, and replacing all fuel and vacuum lines. Any idea on what size fuel lines as I would like to buy it and take it back with me.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
Brad2002ez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cleaned the carb, replaced all fuel lines, new filter, new fuel pump, new spark plugs. Would not start. No fuel going into new filter. Pulled pump discharge line, turned over engine, fuel filter quickly filled and pump began spurting fuel - but still would not start. Pulled fuel line off carb, after several engine rotations, began spurting fuel at carb - put the line back on - still no go. Pulled the carb and bowl to make sure float was not stuck up - with bowl off, turned over engine - no fuel coming into bowl. Removed float and float needle valve - turned over and fuel spurted out of hole from float needle valve. As soon as I put the float needle valve back in and put float on (with float in lower position) no fuel to bowl. There is a spring on the float needle valve that pushes the float down - it seems like there should be enough fuel pressure from the fuel pump to push fuel past the spring on the float needle valve when the float is in the lower position. Not so.... Any suggestions? Is it possible the float needle valve is faulty?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

If you have a good flow of fuel at the carb fuel line then I would pull the carb and use a small piece of wire or a cutting torch tip cleaner and run it through the main jet which is at the top of the tube the float needle sits in. I bet it's clogged up.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel line, fuel problems, fuel pump problems
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO