lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
dwwg14
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G14 Rebuild

So, my kids came in the house and informed me the golf cart is dead. As it turns out, it was out of oil and frozen up. Yea, I know, dad's job to keep up on the oil level. I could kick myself. I put oil in and got it to turn, but she is rough. So, I'm going to pull the motor and see what we have. Hopefully I can rebuild it. Any advice, instructions, videos, etc would be greatly appreciated! I've not done this before, but I figure a golf cart might be a good thing to learn on...
dwwg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 Rebuild

Advice: get real yamaha parts, no china. Get a service manual. Use plastigauge to measure crank clearence. Do NOT order piston & rings for a G2/G9 motor, they arent the right ones. Do not attempt to reuse any seals or gaskets.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
dwwg14
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Got it. Good start, keep em' coming...
Old 08-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As a fellow G14 owner IF there is Serious damage once you open it you might want to think about a clone conversion.Be sure to get a primary clutch puller before you start your tear down.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Take a lot of pictures and post em on here. There is a lot of good useful knowledge here. They're very simple engines just need to continually check tolerances.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
dwwg14
Getting Wild
Yamaha

So, I'm wondering what the HP is on this motor. I'm thinking of just going with a B&S horizontal shaft engine. I know of a pretty good deal on a 14.5hp, but not sure that is enough. Anyone just scrap the GC motor and go w/ something else?
Old 08-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Lots of people use the b&s motors. Your stock engiie is only about 10 HP. So 14.5 HP will definitely make a noticeable difference.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
dwwg14
Getting Wild
Yamaha

What do you think about this:

http://t.harborfreight.com/22-hp-670...epa-61614.html
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 AM   #9
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

There was a discussion on that engine. I think somebody here has used it and it works good. It seems that most folks stick with the B&S Vanguard V-Twin engines because upgrades and parts are readily available. I don't know if anybody determined if any upgrades such as rev kits, advance timing keys, etc. are available for the HF Predator V-Twin.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I know your pain. My wife has her vehicle and I have my truck and motorcycle. I don't drive hers much and only when she wants me to take her somewhere. She knows how to check oil, but do you think she will.

So, I guess your right, it's our job.

I'd pull the engine apart and if it's in need of too many parts or work I'd seriously think about an engine swap.

While a single cylinder engine is fine (I had an 8hp briggs in my cart at one time) the V-twin will be a smoother running choice. The 8hp Briggs I had ran fine and had a top speed of about 27 on a flat but idled and ran a bit rough. Of course it was a flat head engine which may have had something to do with it.

OEM parts, especially for internals is a good idea, there are a lot of bad ones out there. But, I have found that not all are bad, but can be a crap shoot some times.

Also as already said, get a clutch puller bolt before you start, it will save you a lot of headache and down time waiting on one.

The 14.5 engine will work and probably give you what you want and expect, but if you want to do any modifying of the motor down the road I'd try to go with an engine that you can find the parts for. Go with either a clone engine or a Vanguard V-twin. And another thing, if you aren't used too or comfortable with fab work, use an engine that is popular and an install kit can be purchased for.

Do a little research and pick an engine that you are comfortable with. There are many out there that will work even with no mods.

I actually run a 25hp Kawasaki V-twin in mine and am happy with it in stock form. But there was a lot of fab work to get it in the cart and if you go with something not widely used you'll have to figure out a lot of the little things that are already taken care of with the Vanguard and clone engines.

Good luck with your build/change and be sure to keep us in the loop. And, teach the kids to check the oil and if they don't want too, tell them " Can't take care of it, Can't ride it"
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha