lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
rgetter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Best Budget Brake Options for Hills

I recently picked up our first golf cart a few weeks ago (2000 EZGO TXT, 5" Lift, 22x11x10 Wheels). And among other things I had to do a fair amount of upgrades already. But the one thing I am looking at right now is better brake options. I live in a very hilly area and actually at the top of a extremely steep hill. When I got the cart the brakes were basically shot, made for a not so fun ride down our hill. Since then I did replace the brake shoes and clean up everything and they work ok. But to me they are still not where I feel they should be to be safe (my wife and kids will use the cart at some point).

So from what I can tell I can see three brake options.

1. Replace Rear Drums with Ausco Mechanical Disk Brakes
2. Add Jakes Front Hydraulic Disk Brakes
3. Replace Rear Drums with WheelCA Hydraulic Disk Brakes

I know wheelca has a 4 wheel setup which would be awesome but currently out of the budget. I have seen various pro/cons on all options. Just wanted to get some options on what you all have used and liked. The Ausco would be the most affordable, but I have seen a lot of people mentioning the noise and the constant adjustment of them.

Thanks
rgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Best Budget Brake Options for Hills

I have option 1 on 3 different carts and they have performed well. I did have one set of brake pads come apart but that cart is used quite a bit to put boats/skis in the water so they get submerged a bunch. As for adjusting I have had them for a few years on each cart and rarely have had to adjust them..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Joekay
Not Yet Wild

No help here. But I'm looking to do the same upgrade. I'll be here for the responses. I don't want to waste money on rear discs if the improvement won't be enough I'll go with front brakes.
Joekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
rgetter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

kgsc .. I am assuming since you have them on 3 different carts that you found they were a good upgrade over the standard drums. Are you able to stop on a hill? Currently with my drums on some of my hills the best they will do is slow me down to a controllable speed. But if anything required more than that I would be in trouble.

The other issue I have seen reported is that they tend to hang kind of low. Do you feel that has been an issue for yourself? My cart is lifted and I don't do any serious off-road-in, maybe a trail here and there. So my initial thought this probably isn't a big deal, but would like your take on it.

I can't dismiss the fact they are almost half the cost of the Hydraulic ones. But I don't want to also look past the old saying "You get what you pay for" either.

Thanks
rgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I had the same issue with the stock configuration not being able to lock up the wheels with a set of 23" tires. Part of that was the brakes needed to have the pads and possibly drums replaced but they really are not made for a tire that size. When I did mine I caught a sale where I got the discs for around $150 so I jumped on it. Figured if I had replaced the stock parts it would be close to that so it was a no brainer.. Now they are just a tad over $300 so Would have to consider it. They do hang a little low and thought about flipping them but they would hit the lift brackets.. So far I haven't hit anything with them but mine don't get run through the big time tough stuff like some folks here do..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
misterpowertools
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did the Ausco disk brake swap and can say worth the money for sure. The old brakes had good linings, but still couldn't even come close to locking up the 22's. If the discs are 100% stopping power, the old drum setup was about 35% braking at best. If I do another lifted, big tire cart or even an ungoverned street cart, I will get disc brakes for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
misterpowertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
my1423
Gone Wild

If you are a welder and really on a budget you can do what my neighbor did.
Sorry i can not post pictures of it. He passed away and the kids took everything.
I was going to copy it for my cart but found an old quad that will be my future project when i get around to it.

He went to the junk yard and found the complete rear brake hubs and spindles from an old honda civic. They are front wheel drive so the rear spindles are small and drum brake.
Not sure of the year. Really cheap like 40$ since those usually just get crushed.
Complete included the lug nuts e brake cables and y that holds the 2 to one cable hardware.
The bolt pattern was 100mm. He slightly filed his rim stud holes to fit the civic studs since the 4 on 4 standard is like 101.5 mm He also got all 4 civic rims but he sold those. they were 100$ 25$ each an looked really funny on the cart.
When he used the stock cart rims the brake drums hit the rims just before seating all the way. He ended up using a washers and longer wheel studs to space the cart rims out just a little. I personally would recommend buying a wheel spacer. It worked for him and he said it was tight against the drum. Washers were there to keep the studs tight and not bend the rims.

He cut off his spindles and welded on the civic spindles in there place.
Ran the cables back to the same area as the rear brake cables.
Cut out the stock cable mount on the cart frame.
Welded up a piece of flat strap with holes drilled in it to hold all four cables. 2 rear 2 front.
2 rear in the middle and 2 front on the outside. Welded that in place of the stock cable mounts.
Drilled a piece of square stock to hook all the cables together with onto the stock bar to the brake pedal. Same spacing as the cable mount. Just replaced the stock part that is there now.
Used the stock hard ware to mount the cable ends with the springs that are on each.

Worked great. He had to be loosen the front brake cables alot to lessen the stopping power because they worked too well. First test ride he nearly rolled the cart on its nose when the hill brake locked the front wheels up at full speed.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO