lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
ukpaul
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default weak spark issue on 79

Hey guys.
First time post.
I bought my Son an old 2 stroke marathon and fixed it up for him for Christmas. Everything has been fine until yesterday. I was in it with him, we were riding around the sub division when all of a sudden it died. Looked for a spark at plug but nothing. Tied a different plug and again, nothing. Bought a new coil, tested for a spark. When I press on the pedal sometimes there is a spark but then nothing else. I keep mashing on and off pedal but only every once in a while I get a spark. I have been told it could be the pulsar behind the flywheel. I believe this is a 2pg cart. Could that be correct ? If it is the pulsar, can this be bypassed at all.
Thanks in advance
ukpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: weak spark issue on 79

I believe a 79 has points, and a condenser. It should also have an internal starter/ generator.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
ukpaul
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What does that mean then. I think it does have the internal starter but where are the points ?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Kaweh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i love how some people chine in and dont really offer any help at all. lol anyway, i have the same issue with mine and i would like to change mine to electronic. but so if the spark is weak it can be the points gap is off or the condenser is bad or both. also check the coil on yours. put a gauge on it and measure resistance. basically look where your belt connects to the drive train and remove the cover if it has one and you'll see a little thing that looks like a capacitor with one or two cables going to it. that' the condenser and the points is what it connects to. the gap between the points should be .015 of an inch i believe if new and .013 if it's old. I hope this helps you. Keep researching on the web. good luck
Kaweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
ukpaul
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input. That give me a couple of things I can try.
Not being experienced with a multimeter, I set it to what seems to be ohms and started to check the brand new coil and for some reason the reading is no where near what it should be. Maybe I just got it set to the wrong setting.
Thanks again, I'll keep checking
Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaweh View Post
i love how some people chine in and dont really offer any help at all.

Yeah, you are right. I should have just let him keep looking for his non existent
pulsar.

But hey, congratulations. With only three weeks of membership, you have just been elected as the new go to guy that is responsible for answering every single question that gets asked on here, no matter how much spoon feeding they need. Good luck with that. I will be sending people your way.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:41 AM   #7
my1423
Gone Wild

Enough cat fighting.

Point triggered hei. Get the high powered hei spark and coil control without burning up points. Still wear just a tiny percent of what they were.

http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/GPZheiModForPoints.html

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...s-dist.978979/
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
ukpaul
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks my1423.
Just flicked through the links and gonna give that a try.
Thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO