lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default Dead G29 after swapping batteries

I just put a new pack in my G29. Now the ignition switch does nothing.

The cart has an Altrax XTC controller, and usually turning the key on will temporarily get the controller fan to run. That isn’t happening.

I wanted to see if the controller is getting power, so I pulled the 2 wires out of the run/tow switch to see if either of those wires was getting 48V. It turns out that one of the wires has continuity to the negative terminal of the battery pack. (?!?!?!) The other wire doesn’t have any voltage.

I’m fairly certain that I connected all the wires properly. The DVM on the dash reads 50.1V. (I do not have it through the ignition.) The charger will detect voltage and kick on. Everything appears in order, but the cart is dead. Does anybody have any advice on how to trouble shoot this?

Thanks in advance,

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Dead G29 after swapping batteries

Hook your laptop up to the controller through USB and see what signals it is seeing when you turn on the key. That is where I would start.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Thanks.

Stay tuned...

TJ
Old 10-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

I'm having trouble posting pics. Hopefully this will work. Advice?

TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2936.jpg (437.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2937.jpg (577.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2938.jpg (404.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You are getting no power to your controller! Battery voltage is zero. Key switch is OFF. (See your first screen that you posted).
Old 10-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Cool. This leads me to believe that the keyswitch may be bad. I'll jump that to see if it fixes things.

Meanwhile, is it normal for one of the wires going to the run/tow to have continuity to the negative terminal of the pack? That strikes me as odd.

TJ
Old 10-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Before I go messing around with the wiring, I'm wondering if it would tell me anything if I try to push the cart while the run/tow switch is in the run position.

I know it sounds like a ridiculous question, but it will take some effort. In preparation for Hurricane Matthew I've got all my carts up on about 16" of blocks. They are jacked up high enough so that I need to bring them down in stages. (Lower the rear by 8", then the front, then the rear, then the front.) It's kinda a pain. The real bummer of it is, for hurricane prep I packed stuff pretty tight in the garage, so I can't lower this cart until I lower the one behind it. Doh! So just getting them down will take awhile. Since hurricane season is not over I'd rather leave them jacked up. Is it worth taking the carts down so I can push the cart and see if the controller protests?

TJ
Old 10-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the G29? This is turning out to be a PIA. Without a wiring diagram I can't make any sense out of what I'm observing.

I pulled both wires out of the keyswitch. There is a red/yellow, and a red/white. Using a DVM I found that there is continuity between them. Does the ignition switch "off" position complete the circuit and the "on" position breaks the circuit?

I also found that between the ignition wires (either one) to pack positive reads 48V. However, there is no continuity between the ignition wires and pack negative.

I'm really confused.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TJ

I measured 48V between red/yellow and pack positive. I also measured 48V between red/white and pack positive
Old 10-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The Run/Tow switch should send power to the controller and the key switch I believe but you should look at the YDRE wiring diagram. There should be one posted in the sticky.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you just changed the batteries you can be almost certain that a wire did not get back on right. There should be extra wires on both the Pos and Neg of the pack.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha