lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Pain g22..

Hey

Hang in with me guys this is a story..

So my friend asked me if I would look at his gas g22 he purchased because he had it running for 5 seconds, and then mysteriously went dead. There are wires going everywhere, looks as if previous attempts at wiring for lights were left throughout the car. Off the bat no solenoid click, and the previous owner used a txt solenoid instead of the typical type for Yamaha. Jumped the key switch wires, no solenoid click. The prev. Owner left the solenoid partially installed, with only one side bolted in, and the side that connects the little ground wire hanging free!

I bolted in the other side and properly connected the ground wire so it bolted into the frame. Still no solenoid click. Checked fuses on the car, one was out and I replaced. No solenoid click. So I went back to the key switch with my meter, and sure enough, no voltage even coming through the keyswitch wire.

I concluded, so far anyway, the problem is probably a broken wire or two somewhere in this mess of a wiring harness. I have a couple questions though, could the stop switch be my issue? Also, can any of you genius golf car guys think of any other possible thing I am missing to look into?

Thanks as always
Steve
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Pain g22..

Easy check. Apply negative battery voltage direct to the negative terminal on the solenoid. See if cart will run. If not, add battery positive to the positive terminal on the solenoid see if cart run. it should with one of those two jumps. which ever one the cart starts on, then you know which circuit to check.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Easy check. Apply negative battery voltage direct to the negative terminal on the solenoid. See if cart will run. If not, add battery positive to the positive terminal on the solenoid see if cart run. it should with one of those two jumps. which ever one the cart starts on, then you know which circuit to check.
So in other words, run a jumper from negative battery terminal and touch the negative large post. If not, run another jumper from positive battery terminal and touch large positive post on solenoid? Reason I ask is the positive cable from the battery is always on one side of the solenoid anyway. Are you referring to large terminals or the small ones?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Power to the key switch is based on the positive battery cable to the large post at the solenoid with a small jumper lead the connects with the wire harness. Might check to see if it got unplugged. The key switch power feeds the stop switch, which intern powers the solenoid small red wire.
smallblock450sl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do NOT ground either large terminal on the solenoid! The solenoid is an electronic switch. As such it has two circuits: one that controls the switch and one that sends power (in this case to the starter) when the switch is "on". The big terminals are battery + into the solenoid and out to the starter. Neither goes to ground. The small terminals are battery + (by way of the key switch) and ground. So to use Golf Cart Guy's test use the small terminals.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Power to the key switch is based on the positive battery cable to the large post at the solenoid with a small jumper lead the connects with the wire harness. Might check to see if it got unplugged. The key switch power feeds the stop switch, which intern powers the solenoid small red wire.
I understand that's why so far I suspect something is wrong with a wire or the harness. the two wires from the small posts lead to a single short harness plug and they are in fact connected.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Also note that many yamaha are not frame ground. The engine and cradle may be but if the solenoid is not on the cradle (on the engine side of any rubber mounts) it may not ground itself on a bolt it may need a ground wire. Or you may have to ground the piece it is bolted to. I don't think my G9 solenoid grounds at all where it mounts, but its been a while since I installed it. There is also a fuse in most yamaha ground wires so if you do ground something it all goes back through that fuse, but the G22 may be different.

Most carts the hot comes off the positive battery cable and goes to the key, then to the pedal switch, then to the solenoid. You should be able to test for ground at the solenoid, then test the power (hot) through the key and pedal to to the solenoid to see where it stops.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha