lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Default New G9 Electric Cart Owner - Performance Upgrade Options

Hello all, I just bought a Yamaha G9 golf cart and though it runs solid I would like more speed. I have tried searching online but I am not sure what fits with what and if I can do parts over time to continually add power/speed. Do I need to get a new motor, controller, Solendoid and cables all at once as my first attempt at gaining a little more power?
rstarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New G9 Electric Cart Owner - Performance Upgrade Options

Others will chime in with more knowledge than I have, but I would certainly start with a controller. From what I have learned most carts will respond wonderfully with only an upgraded controller. Then motor/4 gauge cables/hd solenoid. Of course you can buy the entire package at once from several of the site sponsors listed above.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Series type carts (like G9e) will gain virtually zero speed with just a controller upgrade. The stock controller is reliable, but not really ready for real stresses of a hotrod motor. It will work, but likely won't give many years of service. One possible upgrade path is a upgraded motor, with plans of a controller in the near future. Your cart axle will accept all 10-spline motors, likely sources of performance upgrades are probably going to be motors quoted as for a Clubcar 36v or 48v if you up the juice (since the splines & motor bolt pattern are the same). Another path is changing the whole system to 48v. That will get you 33% more speed, and at least a 33% more torque using your stock motor. If you are planning upgrades & keeping it, I suggest going the 48v route. It's the more expensive, but gives the best results. Parts required include, 48v worth of batteries (6x 8v suggested), upgraded controller, upgraded solenoid, upgraded cables (4ga), and a 48v charger. Unfortunately, there is no cheap "magic bullet" to get speed in that type of cart. Installing slightly larger tires will get you some speed (like 3 mph).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Appreciate the answers. I got the cart fairly cheap and expected to put some money into it. Hindsight 20/20 I probably would have went a different route. I will run the the numbers and see if it makes sense to upgrade or sell and buy a different one. Thanks for being so thorough, I was running in circles trying to figure it out on my own.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Me again. The folks at Buggies unlimited recommended..
Club Car AMD 36 / 48-Volt Speed & Torque Motor (Fits 2000-Up)
E-Z-GO Electric 4-Gauge Heavy-Duty Weld Cable Set (Fits 1994-Up)
700-Amp FSIP 3-Terminal Controller (Fits Select Club Car, E-Z-GO, Yamaha Models)
36-Volt High-Amp Solenoid (Universal Fit)
Total with Shipping = $1,157.15
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Dont hesitate to pull the trigger. Scottyb wont do you wrong and the customer service is unmatched. I speak from experience, he'll get your cart where you want it to be.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarost View Post
Me again. The folks at Buggies unlimited recommended..
Club Car AMD 36 / 48-Volt Speed & Torque Motor (Fits 2000-Up)
E-Z-GO Electric 4-Gauge Heavy-Duty Weld Cable Set (Fits 1994-Up)
700-Amp FSIP 3-Terminal Controller (Fits Select Club Car, E-Z-GO, Yamaha Models)
36-Volt High-Amp Solenoid (Universal Fit)
Total with Shipping = $1,157.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsoshl View Post
Dont hesitate to pull the trigger. Scottyb wont do you wrong and the customer service is unmatched. I speak from experience, he'll get your cart where you want it to be.
There's a huge difference between Buggies Unlimited and Carts Unlimited (Scottyb)

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/home.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
There's a huge difference between Buggies Unlimited and Carts Unlimited (Scottyb)

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/home.html
I assume you mean I should check with Carts Unlimited
Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yes. And probably erase BU from your browser history before your computer randomly catches fire. (not super likely, but better safe than sorry ).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yes. And probably erase BU from your browser history before your computer randomly catches fire. (not super likely, but better safe than sorry ).
Thanks for the advice. I am having a hell of a time finding the serial number. I cant tell if its a G2 or G9. Any tips here?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha