lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

Default Marathon drive belt/clutch

Everyone here was so helpful last fall helping me get the cart running and it has been a life saver around the farm. Have had no problems until last week so hoping someone can help again.

My problem is with the clutches i believe. The cart will start up just fine and run but its like it wont shift out of first gear. When driving the cart without the seat i can see that the drive belt only rides up around halfway of where it used too. I measured my belt and its right at 1 1/8 inch wide so not worn out. I took both clutches apart and in the drive clutch there was a small broken pice of metal, could not be sure what it was. Is there a diagram for these clutches? On the driven clutch there were 3 ramp buttons? that seemed to be well worn. What is the purpose of these pieces and could they be my problem?

Thanks for any help offered
cbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon drive belt/clutch help. Please

How about with the rear end jacked up off the ground- if you rev it, will the belt drive pulley close up fully then? If not, my guess is that broken piece in drive clutch is the issue. Can you send a pic of it?
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

ok so here is the deal. when jacked up the clutches operate exactly like they should and everything is perfect. When off the jack and under load, same problem. No power. So is this an engine problem? Compression is right at 100 so not perfect. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Does choking it a little bit help it run better? Does it take off fairly well?

Does the engine rev way up while driving it? If the engine is screaming (5-6 K rpm) then I think it is the clutch. If the engine is only turning 2-3K rpm then it is just not getting enough rpms to shift- might be a carb issue or a blown crank seal.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

Choke does not help anything. It takes off fine and builds rpms but then it just won't shift up. It has a comet clutch on it. Is this stock? The engine is definitely screaming. I have new crank seals as of a couple months ago. Will double check that they have not blown out. Guess I'll look into a new clutch as well
Old 07-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon drive belt/clutch

If the engine is screaming then it does sound like the clutch. Something about it is preventing it from upshifting under load. It shouldn't be too hard to take it apart and investigate what broke off inside. You will likely need a clutch puller bolt to get it off the engine. You can "make" one using a piece of bolt that will slide into the center of the hub and another that will thread into the hub. The one that threads into the hub will be fine threaded.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

I just wanted to update so maybe to help someone else. I pulled the motor and replaced the piston rings thinking maybe low compression was my issue. Also installed new gaskets. After reinstalling there was no difference. Same clutch problem. Except now my motor is making a pinging or vibrating noise and compression is lower at 90.

BUT THEN, I ordered new ramps for the driven clutch and BINGO problem solved. Clutches work perfectly. My old ramps were definately worn. So one problem fixed.

Now the throttle cable has broken and i cant find one in stock anywhere until september. anyone have one laying around?

And any ideas on why my engine is making such noise? Guess ill be pulling it out again. The fun never ends!! If i would have left engine alone and just replaced clutch ramps i would be good to go right now.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
dragonslayr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrooks View Post
I just wanted to update so maybe to help someone else. I pulled the motor and replaced the piston rings thinking maybe low compression was my issue. Also installed new gaskets. After reinstalling there was no difference. Same clutch problem. Except now my motor is making a pinging or vibrating noise and compression is lower at 90.

BUT THEN, I ordered new ramps for the driven clutch and BINGO problem solved. Clutches work perfectly. My old ramps were definately worn. So one problem fixed.

Now the throttle cable has broken and i cant find one in stock anywhere until september. anyone have one laying around?

And any ideas on why my engine is making such noise? Guess ill be pulling it out again. The fun never ends!! If i would have left engine alone and just replaced clutch ramps i would be good to go right now.
You said "new ramps"... don't mean to sound dumber'n I am about these things but is there any chance that you mean it was the (Ramp Buttons) that you replaced? Thanks, Walt~
dragonslayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

Yes ramp buttons. Sorry about that. Very easy to replace these.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
dragonslayr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrooks View Post
Yes ramp buttons. Sorry about that. Very easy to replace these.
Thanks Cbrooks... I am just beginning to learn about these machines and looks like I have to replace the buttons on my 82 Marathon too. First question is; is there anyplace that has a REASONABLE price for these little pieces of nylon? second is; What exactly do you have to do to remove the driven clutch and replace the buttons?,,,, thanks again, Walt~
dragonslayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO