lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
mattrains
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT Freedom 2014 - Gov Removal

I've been fighting with my new 14' TXT Freedom and the top speed for a few days now. When I got it it would do 16mph. I have recently backed the throttle cable back and get it to 20mph, the only problem is now it surges, hitting the governor every few seconds. It wants to go faster but when it hits the governor it cuts the power. Up hills it's much better but flats it annoying.

Question - Can I just bypass to governor linkage and hook the gold spring to the throttle linkage. I have a tach coming soon and I know i'm not supposed to go over 4K, if I bypass the governor and keep it under 4K will I be okay?

13hp Kawasaki Engine
mattrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO TXT Freedom 2014 - Gov Removal

Sounds like you've got it maxed out the surging is from hitting the rev limiter
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
mattrains
Not Yet Wild

I didn't think the Kawasaki motor had a rev limiter?

Anyway, I played around some more and after adjusting the throttle cable all the way out I started playing with the governor on top of the motor, it's the two plates on top of each other with a bolt holding them together. The top plate is adjustable. By adding slack to the throttle cable using the top plate adjustment I was able to keep the governor from kicking in so early. After 3 or 4 adjustments so the throttle blade on the carb would open fully at full pedal and as much slack as possible in the governor I achieved 22mph on 19" wheels.

The tach comes in Friday so I can check to see what my RPMs are, I won't drive it much until then. I figure 22 should get me 25-26 when I upgrade to 23" tires this weekend?
mattrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You could be right I for some reason I thought it did but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Mine had issues where the governor bracket attached to the stud coming out of the transaxle. I loosened the bracket at that stud and spun the bracket to the right and tightened the stud. Disconnect the throttle cable by taking it out of the rear bracket. This will allow the cart to start and just idle no matter how far the pedal is pushed. Loosen the stud bolt that holds the brackets together, push the go pedal and set the idle. Make sure the bracket is still to the right and tighten the bolt. Put the cable back in the bracket then set your speed. Mine with 21 inch tires would sit right at 3900 RPM on flat ground with just me running 25-26 MPH. It would run faster but knew I wasn't going to be the only one driving it so I went on the low side. The setting the idle allows the cart to take off smoothly without jerking..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO