lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Loose/play in the steering

2007 ST350 2+2

Steering has a decent amount of wiggle to it before it actually turns the wheels, say 1/2”-1”. Looks like its leaking as well

Any ideas? Hoping I don’t need a new gear box set up. Attached some pics below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0FDEDBB5-7207-40B2-8918-AF6E67BA85E0.jpg (161.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3F898499-C620-413C-861D-06CBCE6291E6.jpg (189.5 KB, 0 views)
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loose/play in the steering

Leakage past that boot wouldn't indicate anything except possibly over greasing or accumulated grease working its way out. There are adjustments to tighten the steering if I remember correctly. Yours is a little newer than mine. My rack is under the cowl, not on the axle.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

My plan is to have the original bodybrekoved this weekend and give the entire frame and al the areas I couldn’t previously reach, a blast with the power washer.

Once’s this is done I will see about tightening the steering and possibly spray some black paint on any frame or suspension parts that might need it.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Follow up

Still play in the steering. It appears when you wiggle the steering wheel, before the tires move, there is movement in the steering housing. Hope to try and tighten the bolt tomorrow to see if it makes any difference but not sure it will.

Pic below for reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BBEB042F-8C5A-489A-9EDF-263405CA78CC.jpeg (79.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The common issue is the bushing (in green, 5 in your image). As that bushing wears it allows the pitman (#30) to wiggle back and forth before it moves the tie rods to the steering knuckles and the wheels.

Last edited by meimk; 02-04-2018 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
The common issue is the bushing (in green, 5 in your image). As that bushing wears it allows the pitman (#30) to wiggle back and forth before it moves the tie rods to the steering knuckles and the wheels.
Can these all easily be replaced?

Not even worth trying to tighten it i imagine?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That appears to be the old style frame mounted steering box that they started phasing out in 2001. Is that what type it is ? If so it probably just needs the rack replaced and all will be fine. Did one yesterday. Take the ball joint loose at the top of the pivot rod, take the band clamps loose on the boots, pull on the ball joint and rack out of the housing, make sure to remember orientation, remove ball joint from the end of the rack, may need some heat as it will have lock tight on it, put ball joint on the new rack and point it the same direction it was on the old one, pull boot from drivers side of housing, hold spring tensioner out of the way, feed new rack back in while turning the wheel counter clockwise, reconnect ball joint, put boots back on, realign steering wheel. Done

Rack part number is 70718G01 for frame mounted housing.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
That appears to be the old style frame mounted steering box that they started phasing out in 2001. Is that what type it is ? If so it probably just needs the rack replaced and all will be fine. Did one yesterday. Take the ball joint loose at the top of the pivot rod, take the band clamps loose on the boots, pull on the ball joint and rack out of the housing, make sure to remember orientation, remove ball joint from the end of the rack, may need some heat as it will have lock tight on it, put ball joint on the new rack and point it the same direction it was on the old one, pull boot from drivers side of housing, hold spring tensioner out of the way, feed new rack back in while turning the wheel counter clockwise, reconnect ball joint, put boots back on, realign steering wheel. Done

Rack part number is 70718G01 for frame mounted housing.
it's a 2007 ST 2+2, so theoretically it shouldn't be that style, no?
Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjonman View Post
Can these all easily be replaced?

Not even worth trying to tighten it i imagine?
Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you look at it underneath. As others have suggested there are other points that could be causing the problem, just in my experience the bushing is by far the most common. If it is the bushing, it can be replace with the assembly still in the cart by being creative with a ball joint press or something similar. Much better to press the old one out & new one in than to beat on them with a hammer. If the bushing is worn, no tightening will help it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you look at it underneath. As others have suggested there are other points that could be causing the problem, just in my experience the bushing is by far the most common. If it is the bushing, it can be replace with the assembly still in the cart by being creative with a ball joint press or something similar. Much better to press the old one out & new one in than to beat on them with a hammer. If the bushing is worn, no tightening will help it.
That’s definitely the first area that shows movement when wiggle the steering wheel. It just wobbles ever so slightly back and forth.

Maybe I’ll just install a new rack
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO