lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 ezgo 2pg reed valve gaskets

I've been working through the many issues on this new to me 88 ezgo. I was able to get it running, but it runs rough and backfires. The compression is good, 120ish and the PO replaced the top end. Listening to the advice of many of the great members of this forum, I pulled the muffler and it runs better but doesn't have much power and still has a back fire. I pulled the carb again and check the reeds. There was on gasket beteeen the carb and the reed plate and below the reed valve were two more gaskets. They were all saturated with gas. Can anyone tell me whether it needs both bottom gaskets or just one on top and one below? Should I add any sealer? I am guessing that that this is the cause of the backfire. The carb is one of the knockoff bv24's from ebay, but it seems to working. I am Hoping it's just gaskets, but will put back together and find out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I plan on having a muffler BBQ tomorrow. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
mark.miklaucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ezgo 2pg reed valve gaskets

When does it backfire? Does it do it at speed, or when letting off the gas, and stepping back on it again?

A spring missing from the throttle cable is the biggest cause of backfiring. Read this thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...djustment.html It holds the throttle plate fully closed until spark is introduced. You can rob one from an ink pen. The pictures show the spring slid over the end of the throttle cable.

Another cause is doing the hei mod, and having the blue, and red wires from the pulsar swapped.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Cart Around. It seems like it viva right from the start. When I loosened the exhaust it got better but backfires when I let off the throttle. I know a little backfire is normal on two strokes typically. Thanks for the tip on the spring. I have a whole drawer full of candidates to address that. I ordered new gaskets last night for the reeds and carb. They should be here on Friday and I can put it back together and give it a try. I did notice that while I was running it with the seat off and watching the exhaust there is a small hole in the weld on the top of the muffle which is allowing some air in. I could see the detonation. Pretty small hole but probably a contributor.
What are your thoughts on the reed gaskets? One or two? and should I run a gasket sealer in addition to the new gasket?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
jcgonzal
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Been quite a few years since I rebuilt my motor, but I’m pretty confident one gasket goes above/one below the reed valves. I did not use any gasket sealer.
jcgonzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgonzal View Post
Been quite a few years since I rebuilt my motor, but I’m pretty confident one gasket goes above/one below the reed valves. I did not use any gasket sealer.
Thank you

Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
When does it backfire? Does it do it at speed, or when letting off the gas, and stepping back on it again?

A spring missing from the throttle cable is the biggest cause of backfiring. Read this thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...djustment.html It holds the throttle plate fully closed until spark is introduced. You can rob one from an ink pen. The pictures show the spring slid over the end of the throttle cable.

Another cause is doing the hei mod, and having the blue, and red wires from the pulsar swapped.
While I had everything apart, I checked the exhaust. It has a bunch of stuff rattling around and it sound like the inner can is not fully attached. Has anyone ever done a tuned exhaust for the 88? It sound like a fun project. I need to find the port dimensions. There is a software called clicktobuild that calculates the volume and gives you templates to trace onto the steel. Any other exhausts known to work on these? Factory exhaust is ridiculously priced.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.miklaucic View Post
While I had everything apart, I checked the exhaust. It has a bunch of stuff rattling around and it sound like the inner can is not fully attached. Has anyone ever done a tuned exhaust for the 88? It sound like a fun project. I need to find the port dimensions. There is a software called clicktobuild that calculates the volume and gives you templates to trace onto the steel. Any other exhausts known to work on these? Factory exhaust is ridiculously priced.
Maybe, Maybe not..

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...3-muffler.html
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Interesting. I may give that a try. It's worth the price of case of beer to find out.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Interesting. I may give that a try. It's worth the price of case of beer to find out.

... btw Mark, I read here that reed valves are directional, make sure they are installed the right way.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Much success today. I went through a checklist of items found from the many posts here. I finally was able to figure out the issue on this 88 gasser. Turns out Cart around nailed it. After replacing the carb, it still sounded like it was sucking air and I had to choke it a bit to get it running, but then when I got it up in rpms and let off the choke, it would stumble and die them backfire. I was leaning towards crank seals being bad when I got to the item about swapping the blue and red wires on the pulsar. I didn't think this had HEI, but on inspection of the engine compartment, I found an ignition module attached to the wall with red and blue wires on it. The terminals look new and when I attempted to disconnect them, the wires pulled out of the terminals. I put new terminals on and crimped them well. I then swapped blue and red and then gave it a shot. And just like magic, full rpm with no hesitation or backfire. I took it for a ride and it's pretty quick. Thank you guys for the excellent advice. I never would have found that in a million years. I will try to get some video of it running as I know you like vids.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO