lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 MPT1200 350 Spark, fuel, fires intermitten, compression 118 both no run

Skipping a tooth occurred to me but it ran fine for months. Valve lash is in spec. 118 sounded low to me but they are identical...that's a clue that maybe the crank pulley moved? or defective belt that lost teeth which would tick me off since I went for ez go oem. I can't imagine the valvetrain having that much resistance. Does point to failed valve timing and belt.
RedfishM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 MPT1200 350 Spark, fuel, fires intermitten, compression 118 both no run

Skipping a tooth can happen at any time. Usually when you go from full throttle (heavy load) to completely letting off the throttle, the belt can get a little "slop" in it if the tensioner isn't set correctly. I don't know how the timing belt is set up in an ezgo, never had to do one (yet... my ST350 is coming...) but I've seen it happen in cars with weak tensioner springs many times.

I doubt you lost any teeth, that usually only occurs on old dryrotted belts. If anything it may have skipped a tooth or two.

Even being a tooth or two off, valve lash can still be in spec up to the point where the lobe of the cam starts to lift the valve. Doesn't necessarily mean the valve TIMING is in spec though.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #13
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

CP241, The belt tensioner on these are simple to set once you have the belt on, just loosen the locknut, let the spring set the tension and tighten the bolt back up. Done. a lot of models even had a grommet in the timing belt cover to put a socket wrench through to do it. no need to even remove the cover.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #14
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update... new EZGO OEM timing belt is SHREDDING. 10hrs run time. Not happy.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfishM1 View Post
Update... new EZGO OEM timing belt is SHREDDING. 10hrs run time. Not happy.
Guess that answers that question. Now have to determine why it is shredding... should be fairly obvious. Belts dont shred for no reason. Either too much tension (it's a timing belt so doesnt have to be banjo tight like a V-belt... that's why it's on cogs) or it is rubbing on something. Not much else will cause a belt to shred.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #16
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Proper give on the tension side and no edge abrasion, almost looks like it delaminated. Cam turns freely. Never seen a belt of any sort do this unless it was dried out and old. I wonder if it was NOS and old.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:39 AM   #17
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If there is no obvious reason for it shredding, I would return it for a refund or replacement. Where did you get it from? Some foreign copies can look real OEM! But be very poor quality. I have had club car parts from an OEM dealer and it turned out they were profiting by selling counterfeit parts that were failing almost immediately.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update..timing belt off but cam pulley is tight as if the cam is binding, how much tension should it have with valves NOT backed off? It does not turn freely
Old 12-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I just had my 350 apart. It spins easily with a drill and everything hooked up (rocker arms, valves, etc).

Be careful here... Mine is (Still) losing prime at the oil pump. The cam tried to seize in the head right after rebuild, destroyed the timing belt. Luckily it didn't do any damage, i was able to polish it and no scarring or marring at all. But with the oil pump losing prime, it wasn't (isn't) getting any oil to the head. I'd check carefully and make sure the same isn't happening to you. It shouldn't be that hard to turn the cam.

If you pull the push rods out, the cam should spin freely and easily with no resistance.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #20
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is there a bearing in the head?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO