lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
blaze 'em
Not Yet Wild

Default "First time, long time" plus need help

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker here for a very long time and have come to realize the wealth of information available here from some very knowledgeable folks. Usually I can find info on what I am looking for until recently. So, I signed up and decided to make my own post.

That being said, I'm having hell diagnosing my charging issue on an 04 club car. I'm not a "parts changer", would rather narrow it down if possible. I've read countless threads saying "change the voltage regulator" but im not 100% sure that is the issue. I'm no mechanic by any means but I do know how to take stuff apart and put it back together and how to use a voltmeter. So....

1st I replaced the solenoid. No doubt it was bad. Not sure about pic rules here but ill try and upload. Temporarily solved the problem and was up and running but then wouldn't crank.

2nd I got a brand new battery. Dead after about 8hrs of service. Recharged and luckily its fine.

3rd, got out the voltmeter, and with the cart in "service mode" checked voltage with key off, key on, and running. Ruled out a gremlin draw with key off, and checked draw with key on but not running and its minimal. Reconnect terminals and fire it up.

Key off voltage 13.1
Key on voltage 13.1
Running right at idle started and 12.66 and dropped .01 every 5 seconds or so.
Gave it some rpm and it temporarily gained but never back to 13.1 and soon was falling again.

It almost acted like it was holding at higher rpms, but if too high governor would kick in and I'd lose a whole tenth of a volt. So now 12.5 and holding until let back off to idle. Now down to the .01 loss every few seconds.

I've taken apart the starter/generator amd checked the brushes and the communicator. They have signs of use but I don't think anything of concern.

I've also checked ohms from yellow wire to a couple different spots with the battery disconnected and was getting 4.

So, change the voltage regulator?!?!

Flakey replacement solenoid? (Not oem, but its starting on a hot battery fine every time.)

Thanks all,

Blaze 'em

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
blaze 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: "First time, long time" plus need help

Disconnect the yellow wire from the voltage regulator. Then the side going into the harness (leading to the starter generator) run thr engine and then momentarily hold that to ground. It should jump to about 18 volts.

If it does, voltage reg is bad.
If it does not, then the starter generator is bad.

Grounding this wire makes the S/G go "full field" and charge max capability.

Also, what kind of solenoid did you buy? You need a golf cart "continuous duty" solenoid for these motors. If you get one from an auto parts store it will fail very quickly.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
blaze 'em
Not Yet Wild

The solenoid was a cheap one off of Amazon. It matched as far as part numbers but im skeptical of it. I've read a few things about "continuous duty". What does that mean?

And thanks, I'll try that little procedure tomorrow.

If I'm understanding correctly, just disconnect yellow from voltage regulator and ground it, while voltmeter on battery, and the battery should jump to 18 volts?

Old 09-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
Crack
Gone Wild
Club Car

I’d put money in that voltage regulator went bad
Crack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack View Post
I’d put money in that voltage regulator went bad
I wouldn't put money on anything without testing it first
Old 09-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze 'em View Post
The solenoid was a cheap one off of Amazon. It matched as far as part numbers but im skeptical of it. I've read a few things about "continuous duty". What does that mean?

And thanks, I'll try that little procedure tomorrow.

If I'm understanding correctly, just disconnect yellow from voltage regulator and ground it, while voltmeter on battery, and the battery should jump to 18 volts?

correct. Dont hold it there for long, just a few seconds is fine. Voltage regulators don't fail often, but they can. Its more common for the ground wire on the VR to have a bad connection.

Beware the cheal amazon solenoids. I almost burned a cart tk the ground when one shorted out internally on me... id get an OEM one from revolution golf cars.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
blaze 'em
Not Yet Wild

It was the voltage regulator. Got it changed out and reading about 14.7 when running. 13.1 when the key is off.

Got lucky the only place that works on golf carts in 3 counties had one in stock.

And also have an OEM solenoid on the way.

Thanks all.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car