lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DC to AC conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Your 225/35/12 tires should have an outside diameter of about 18.2" (if you can trust the manufacturer's numbers and if my math is correct). So 27.1 mph would be 6,000 rpm. Did Plum Quick say what the max rpm of their motor is?

According to the .pdf I see on the navitas motor it is good to 6,800 rpm or 30.7mph.

If your sole purpose is speed then the hassle doesn't seem (to me) to be worth it for 3 extra mph. If you just want AC or need the hill climbing abilities then it makes more sense.
9000 is the safe max RPM that Navitas will attest to and support the motor at. Confirmed daily on Golf Carts Modified and the Navitas Vehicle Systems groups on Facebook by Navitas techs and sales rep when asked.

No plum quick DC air-gap modified motor can match the Navitas AC setups for performance across the board. Even Plum Quick will tell you this. That is why they are one of the top sellers of the Navitas kits:

https://plumquick.com/ac-conversion-kits/

Plum Quick resells the Navitas AC kits.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
My math gave me 6064RPM which is close enough to yours. PQ said 6500 Max and you are correct, it's not worth the money for 3 MPH.
Navitas Induction motor is safe to run to 9000 RPM max. Navitas has confirmed hundreds of times on Facebook groups that they participate on. See their user group and Golf Carts Modified and Electric Golf Cart Hacks.

Navitas motor will do 35mph @ 48VDC nominal lead acid.

Navitas motor will do 50mph @ 80V at 300a constant current with a max burst of 500a for 60s.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Look into the Silverwolf AC kit. Their motor runs 9,000 rpm.
Costs about $2k for the motor and controller, you would likely need wire harness and some switches, new cables, solenoid, etc. I'd think you could do the whole thing for under 3k if you did it right.
The "Silverwolf" kits are just ASI (Accelerated Systems Inc) BAC8000 traction inverter and OAK motors:

https://www.acceleratedsystems.com/p...ollers/bac8000

https://www.acceleratedsystems.com/p...lectric-motors

The companies share the same main address in Waterloo, Ontario:

60 Northland Rd Unit 6, Waterloo, ON N2V 2B8

Fun fact: Navitas Vehicle Systems HQ and ASI are only 2.5km apart in Waterloo, Ontario. (Read between the lines. There is a lot of history between the two companies. Google it. :) )

The Navitas AC Inductive motors can be run at 9000 RPM and Navitas supports this setting. I have one of the first AC installs and have run it at 9000 RPM for years and here is what it looks like opened up.

It has no wear, no issues and looks brand new still. It is well over 2 years old now. I opened it up to check it out and because LOTS of questions about them.

motor1.jpg
motor2.jpg
motor3.jpg
motor4.jpg

Key performance key to pay attention to when looking at on AC motors is torque (measured in newton meters). There is a difference between the ASI motor and the Navitas Motor. RPM is one thing but, torque matters. The ASI PMAC and Navitas Induction motor are not same-same on the torque outputs.

As well, the ASI OAK motor is only available for Club Car splined differentials.

Both Navitas and ASI make very good products and are Canadian designed and assembled products in the Silicon Valley of the North. (Disclaimer, I am a Canadian who lives 50km-ish from both companies.)

Customer support with Navitas is stellar. Both are great Canadian engineering companies making waves in the low speed vehicle market.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I want to say these carts have HPEVS systems
HPEVS makes very nice motors. Very nice. Super high-end and entry price is higher than Navitas but, it is not as drop-in friendly as the Navitas setup but, you can get more performance out of them depending on what motor and controller setup you get from HPEVS. Navitas wouldn't argue this.

HPEVS is more "custom". Navitas is more targeted at the drop-in-easy-to-install price-to-performance space than HPEVS.

But, an SME setup will BLOW both HPEVS and Navitas out of the water. But, the price is not even close to HPEVS or Navitas to do this. (Yes, I am an SME fan. :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
but I can't remember for sure. Don't see a kit from Navitas specifically for EZGO series drives but you might want to call them.
Most Navitas dealers sell complete upgrade kits to convert series, DCS and PDS carts to Navitas AC setups:

To convert a series, DCS or PDS cart you need:

1. Navitas TAC2 Traction Inverter (600 or 440) and Navitas AC Induction motor (4kW or 5kW);
2. 400A contactor;
3. TXT48 main wire harness;
4. FNR switch; and
5. Run/tow switch.

I do not recommend using the butterfly PDS harness adapter that some vendors sell for converting PDS carts. You have to do additional wiring for the reverse buzzer and its a pain in the ***. They work but, its just easier and doesn't require additional wiring to just put in a new TXT48 main wire harness.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #15
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you Imapled for that detailed response. Impressive pictures of the inside of a 2 year old motor. I see you noted that you can hit 35 mph on 23" tires which I find a lot of people are running but if I'm doing 35 mph I don't want to be on a lifted cart, I want to have a lower center of gravity, that's why I'm still running near stock height tires. Any idea what RPM the Navitas motor would be turning on 48 volts?
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:37 AM   #16
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
The "Silverwolf" kits are just ASI (Accelerated Systems Inc) BAC8000 traction inverter and OAK motors:

https://www.acceleratedsystems.com/p...ollers/bac8000

https://www.acceleratedsystems.com/p...lectric-motors

The companies share the same main address in Waterloo, Ontario:

60 Northland Rd Unit 6, Waterloo, ON N2V 2B8

Fun fact: Navitas Vehicle Systems HQ and ASI are only 2.5km apart in Waterloo, Ontario. (Read between the lines. There is a lot of history between the two companies. Google it. :) )

The Navitas AC Inductive motors can be run at 9000 RPM and Navitas supports this setting. I have one of the first AC installs and have run it at 9000 RPM for years and here is what it looks like opened up.

It has no wear, no issues and looks brand new still. It is well over 2 years old now. I opened it up to check it out and because LOTS of questions about them.

Attachment 223685
Attachment 223686
Attachment 223687
Attachment 223688

Key performance key to pay attention to when looking at on AC motors is torque (measured in newton meters). There is a difference between the ASI motor and the Navitas Motor. RPM is one thing but, torque matters. The ASI PMAC and Navitas Induction motor are not same-same on the torque outputs.

As well, the ASI OAK motor is only available for Club Car splined differentials.

Both Navitas and ASI make very good products and are Canadian designed and assembled products in the Silicon Valley of the North. (Disclaimer, I am a Canadian who lives 50km-ish from both companies.)

Customer support with Navitas is stellar. Both are great Canadian engineering companies making waves in the low speed vehicle market.
I have dealt with both companies and I know these two companies worked closely together in the past. Navitas harness adapters even have a plug n play port for the old silverwolf 4wd kit. However, I do not think these companies have the same kind of alliance and cooperation as they once did.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #17
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
I have dealt with both companies and I know these two companies worked closely together in the past. Navitas harness adapters even have a plug n play port for the old silverwolf 4wd kit. However, I do not think these companies have the same kind of alliance and cooperation as they once did.
No longer talking to each other. Engineers all know each other because they all shop at the same grocery stores and have worked together at some point in their careers at some engineering company in Waterloo. Waterloo is not a huge city. :)
Old 10-01-2021, 05:43 AM   #18
MaxOut
Not Yet Wild

I recently got a 2001 club car ds that was robbed of everything under the seat. I have a 72v (22s lithium) that is looking for a home. I'm thinking about fitting the DS with an AC system. I started looking at the Navitus TAC 2 system and now considering the Silver wolf AC. The Navitus 5KW system requires a 6" lift. I really don't want to lift this cart. The Silver wolf 9KW does not require a lift so I'm comparing the Navitus 4KW Vs the Silver wolf 9KW. Based on what I've read Navitus has better support and the on the fly das control but SilverWolf has a smaller more efficient motor with more power per the specification. Im not really concerned with going over 30mph and prefer more torque for trails and hills. Is there anything I'm missing? how complete are the kits? I literally need everything including a harness and HD wires for battery and motor connections.
MaxOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #19
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I have not read anywhere or talked to anybody that has said that the 5KW motor requires you to lift the cart 6". What I have found out is that the 5KW motor is longer at 11-1/4" (from what I remember) which will put it pretty close to the drivers side shock so the shock may need to be removed. I think I can lower the spring and differential assembly by removing the wheels, unbolting it at the rear shackle and lowering all the way down. Then I think I can just push the shock out of the way enough to install the motor. I have also found it pretty easy to remove the motor after the batteries have been removed. If I have to I can always remove the shock all together for more clearance. At least that is what my plan is for my EZGO.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #20
MaxOut
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
I have not read anywhere or talked to anybody that has said that the 5KW motor requires you to lift the cart 6". What I have found out is that the 5KW motor is longer at 11-1/4" (from what I remember) which will put it pretty close to the drivers side shock so the shock may need to be removed. I think I can lower the spring and differential assembly by removing the wheels, unbolting it at the rear shackle and lowering all the way down. Then I think I can just push the shock out of the way enough to install the motor. I have also found it pretty easy to remove the motor after the batteries have been removed. If I have to I can always remove the shock all together for more clearance. At least that is what my plan is for my EZGO.
It states it on the Navitas site when selecting it for the club car that you need a 6” lift. As for EzGo I’m not sure.
MaxOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO