lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
DaddyBooks
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 Gas Starter / Generator or Voltage Regulator Problem

Hi All...

I am a to this forum and carts. I've spent quite a lot of time searching and reading. Thanks to all for the great information.

I recently purchased my first...a 1991 Club Car Gas cart. It ran fine when I tested it but I've discovered that after 2 weekends, the battery is dead. I can charge the battery and all is good for a while. 2 weekends later, dead again

After searching the forums, it appears that I have either a starter / generator problem or a voltage regulator problem. I am unclear as to the testing procedure for my pre-92 cart. I have the wiring diagram STICKY and a voltmeter and I'm not afraid to use them but am unclear of where to test, what voltages I'm seeking, etc.

One other item of note. In order to engage the starter, we have to hold the accelerator at only about 20%. If the accelerator is depressed more than that, the starter will not engage. We've gotten used to that but I wonder if it's related.

All help and guidance appreciated. Feel free to point me at an existing thread but I'm not able to locate one that fits my older cart.

Thanks for any and all advice to help me overcome my case of old cart "buyers remorse"...

...DaddyBooks
DaddyBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 91 Gas Starter / Generator or Voltage Regulator Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBooks View Post
Hi All...

I am a to this forum and carts. I've spent quite a lot of time searching and reading. Thanks to all for the great information.

I recently purchased my first...a 1991 Club Car Gas cart. It ran fine when I tested it but I've discovered that after 2 weekends, the battery is dead. I can charge the battery and all is good for a while. 2 weekends later, dead again

After searching the forums, it appears that I have either a starter / generator problem or a voltage regulator problem. I am unclear as to the testing procedure for my pre-92 cart. I have the wiring diagram STICKY and a voltmeter and I'm not afraid to use them but am unclear of where to test, what voltages I'm seeking, etc.

One other item of note. In order to engage the starter, we have to hold the accelerator at only about 20%. If the accelerator is depressed more than that, the starter will not engage. We've gotten used to that but I wonder if it's related.

All help and guidance appreciated. Feel free to point me at an existing thread but I'm not able to locate one that fits my older cart.

Thanks for any and all advice to help me overcome my case of old cart "buyers remorse"...

...DaddyBooks
I am not an expert but i am goign through similar problems with my 85 CC.

When the cart is running at half throttle and you check the voltage on your battery what happens? From your symptoms it sounds like it will be going down.

You can test your s/g by hooking your voltmeter up to the field terminal on teh s/g and reving it to half throttle and you should be getting 13-14.5 volts...

Also, you should take a look at the brushes in your s/g to make sure they dont' need to be replaced...

I am not sure how to test the voltage regulator, but i'll let you know once i figure it out! Good Luck, Jason
jsahara24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Murphy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

1) Check for tight & clean connections. 2) Battery must be good and fully charged. 3) Run engine to bring up to operating temp. 4) Set VOM on DC-20 volt range. Measure across D+ and D- terminals of volt/reg. 5) At 2750-2850 RPM reading should be 14.5 to 15.5 volts. If lower than 14.5 but rising steadily check battery, If lower than 14.5 volts and not rising or over 15.5 adjust volt/reg. To adjust volt/reg, Loosen 7mm locknut on adjusting screw, Turning adjusting screw clockwise raises volts & counterclockwise lowers volts, this is also done @ 2750-2850 RPM, need 14.5 to 15.5 volts.

Good Luck
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
mjrowley
Gone Wild

tag!
mjrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:08 PM   #5
MaxsCart
Not Yet Wild

I recently purchased a pre 1992 club car- ( im only saying this due to the seats)
Are the voltage regulators post-1992 compatible with the pre-1991 Voltage Regs?
Meaning may I upgrade to a non- adjustable voltage regulator?
MaxsCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:53 PM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes you can install a 'solid state' regulator in place of the old fashioned mechanical one. A voltage regulator is just a voltage regulator. It only does one job. You will have to do some minor wiring work (replacing the three small ring terminals with butt splices/insulated spade connectors) but that's it. Just take a photo of where they connect to the old one, but the colours are the same. Black = ground, red = solenoid output to starter generator, green/yellow = df terminal on starter generator.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging problem, club car 1991, generator, starter, voltage regulator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car