lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Most common point of an oil leak?

Ok, so lots of oil all over the clutch side of the motor, leaking a bunch, maybe a Qt in an hour. the only point that looks dry for sure is the main seal on the output shaft. motor sounds good. I may end up power washing to start clean and then watch for the leak unless I get a lucky guess on the most common point that these leak. It is a 92 gas CC.

Thanks,
Jim
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: Most common point of an oil leak?

Usually sucks in the side cover gasket on top side somewhere
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
samsonone
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

yep the side cover gasket is leaking, it is leaking on the topside of the sidecover where the two stud bolts are with the nut's added to them, they over torqued them and crushed the gasket at the factory an leak sooner or later. Easiest way for a novice to change the gasket is to pull the motor, you'll also have to pull the clutch which will require a clutch puller bolt, have to get it from a dealer or borrow one.What happen was the two stud bolts were put in at the proper torque but when c.c. put the two nut's on they over torqed the nuts and turned the stud bolt's tighter and crushed the gasket. Sorry to be so long but good thing's to know good luck
samsonone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

oh, well, that sucks. Think I will wash it down first and be sure before I start on that project. Are the replacement gasket good for a long time? Do I need to re-torque after a couple heat cool cycles? should I use "copper coat" on the gasket? Can I find the torque specs here at buggies someplace?
Thanks, new to carts, but 40 years mechanic experience, so this info helps speed up the process...
Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looking at this picture, it almost seems as if oil is coming down from above the side cover. Do these head gaskets leak oil without blow by on compression? Or maybe I have leaks at several points. It is leaking enough to wash it clean on the oil path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak.jpg (121.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

lol Ok, looks like this one is going to be a lesson. I believe it has "fixed itself"
How you say? Well, come to find out someone checked the oil (when the cart was not level) decided it was low, and added a whole Qt. (at least that's what I'm told) Well, I don't believe it was low at all because I had just topped it off the day before. So, I am guessing what I was seeing running all over the floor was being pushed out the breather (they do have a breather vent or some such thing right?) So, as long as the crank case did not end up with too much pressure and blow a seal out some place, I think I may be ok on this one. I figured this out because I finally decided to see how low it was after seeing all that oil on the driveway and in the garage. (I had parked it in disgust after seeing oil running everywhere) Well, when I checked it, it was still over full quite a little bit. It seems to have stopped leaking now, I think I will just keep an eye on it and let it go for a while.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car