lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
beastman
Not Yet Wild

Default Changing 96 club car coil

Hello, I have a 1996 club car with a fe290 motor. I have been self diagnosing my problem for the last week. The car runs for about a half of mile and when you stop the cart does not move. When I checked the spark there is none. I have changed the spark plug also, did not make a difference. If you let the car cool down it will fire up and do the same thing again. I have bought a coil for this buggy and am trying to get the shroud off. There is one bolt in about the 3'oclock position that you can barely see. Is the shroud slotted for this bolt or does this have to come completely out? Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-
beastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
beastman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Changing 96 club car coil

Changed coil, no spark??????????????
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sorry I am late, but I was searching for this coil replacement procedure by Chris when you posted.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...g-problem.html

Jimmie
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if its a early 96 youn should have went after the rmp limitor and ignitor.......later 96 had the ignotor built into the coil and from reading it sounds like you might have a later 96 if you still have no spark and your engine ground cable is clean and tight it would almost have to be the rpm limitor.......keep in mind its possible also to buy a new coil bad right out of the box.......did your coil have a single spade terminal to plug a wire into it? if so its the later 96.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
if its a early 96 youn should have went after the rmp limitor and ignitor.......later 96 had the ignotor built into the coil and from reading it sounds like you might have a later 96 if you still have no spark and your engine ground cable is clean and tight it would almost have to be the rpm limitor.......keep in mind its possible also to buy a new coil bad right out of the box.......did your coil have a single spade terminal to plug a wire into it? if so its the later 96.....................................
Bloody hell Tom, you keep scaring me with these stories of "failing right out of the box" Quit the scare tactics already lol.
Mine arrived today, will install tomorrow and report back after testing.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
beastman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
I did take the ground wire off the RPM limiter. I am going to double check all grounds today. The coil did have a single spade terminal to plug a wire into it, is that wire for the ignitor?? Thanks for the help
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

the ignitor is built into the coil on that one the single wire i think goes to the limitor but i,m not 100% certain as i never tiik the time to find out.........i hate telling you guys about getting bad parts out of the box but in the case of coil, ignitors, rpm limitors, coil combos and voltage regulators it happens all the time a whole lot more than you would think and since i have purchased thousands of these items i get to see it a lot........one thing i learned is i try and buy C.C. parts 1st before a i buy the same part a few bucks cheaper i just hate doing things twice.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
beastman
Not Yet Wild

I bought the coil from C.C. we have a local distributor. If I take this out can they test it?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quite correct Tom, the wire (iirc) brings power from the lower micro through the RPM limiter before looping off to the ignitor on the 96 - up models. It is kinda hard to follow the exact wiring from the stickies since the ignition components are listed on the engine page and not on the actual wiring digram itself.

Chris.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastman View Post
I bought the coil from C.C. we have a local distributor. If I take this out can they test it?
You can test it without taking it out but it may not prove much, check this link to my original question, there are some instructions on what to do as posted by Papaw.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...g-problem.html

Chris.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car