lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: 85 marathon still won't run

Got gas, fire, but not sure on compression. I will check that tomorrow.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 85 marathon still won't run

OK guys, per my other post, I've got spark, fuel & no compression. Top end rebuild or crank seals, or both? Where would you suggest getting the parts? Thanks to you guys I am getting a real education on gas carts. I'm sure you guys didn't learn this stuff overnite & probably most of it the hard way! Access to your knowledge is appreciated!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
rcbipeflyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 marathon still won't run

One of your earlier posts the owner stated the cart ran for a while and then stopped.
It sounds like the rings of the piston may be stuck from sitting for a year.
The gasoline and the oil act together to form a very tough and sticky varnish.
Chech your head gasket for any signs of leakage.
I think i'd pull the head-do a visual inspection for any damage to the piston, rings, head or the jug. Lastly i'd pull the jug to look at the piston, rings and wall of the jug. Parts are readily available from site advertisers.
rcbipeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Both !
The crankshaft seal have no influence on compression but you are going to have to take your engine out to perform the top end overhaul so it doesn't make sense not to replace the seals especially as this will add about $6 to the cost of this job.
With regard to the engine you have two choices. 1. Rebore the cylinder and fit an oversize piston. 2. Buy the top end kit which will give you everything you need. If you have a friendly engine shop nearby you could get a quote for option 1, If you go for option 2. your target price for buying the kit should be ~$200. You might also consider the complete engine kit which you can get from everything carts but that will run you $364, this in fact was what I did and I am pleased I did, everythingcarts treated me very well. If you do order from them use the code BGWILD and they will knock off 5%. If you elect to do the top only just google 2PG engine kit, there are a lot out there.
Removing the engine is much easier than you might suppose and barring any issues will probably take you a couple of hours. Removing the clutch and flywheel (neccessary to change the seals) is tedious but many guys have done it and so can you.
When you are ready to pull the engine and if you get stuck just shout. I and many others here will be happy to give you whatever help you need.
All the best
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave. You answered all my questions from my other post. Please disregard that. Your information is very much appreciated, as well as all the other posts have been. thanks again. I will contact you guys when I tackle this task.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: 85 marathon still won't run

Dave: I found a complete kit with crank & all for $341 shipped from Performance Golf Carts & $365 from Everything Carts, but wouln't accept BGWILD coupon code. Any experience with Performance Golf Carts?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hi Pick
I have not used Performance but I went off and had a look at their site and the rebuild kit. Everything that should be there is there and to be frank it is all made by one company in India so I would just go for the price. You will also need a clutch puller bolt, you can either buy it for ~$39 or make a perfectly good one for less than $10. If you do decide to buy one then you may as well order it from Performance when you order the kit. You are also going to need a steering wheel puller to get the flywheel off, but we can save that piece of excitement for later.
You and I and the guys on this forum are going to have some serious fun with this rebuild.
All the best
Dave
Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Im sure I could handle making one if I knew what is needed & how to do it.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
Im sure I could handle making one if I knew what is needed & how to do it.
Of course you can, what was I thinking? You will need to buy a hardened 3/4 inch bolt 2 inches long with a fine thread. You will also need a steel rod 5/8ths diameter and 3 inches long.
With the engine out remove the long bolt in the center of the clutch now drop in the rod and wind in the bolt. The clutch will pop off the shaft. Well that's the theory however in real life.........

If the rod does not fit in the hole have a look with a flashlight, I found a threaded plastic plug in there which I had to unwind using a large screwdriver as a chisel. You may not have the plug.
If the clutch has been on there for a while it will be stuck. I would soak the shaft both sides of the clutch with liquid wrench or similar (WD40 will not cut it). Mine was so tight that I had to take the cylinder off and put a rod through the wrist pin hole in the con rod to stop the engine turning, then I stood on the engine to stop the block rotating whilst my good lady bounced up and down on the longest ratchet lever I had. Eventually and with a crack that made me think that the wrench had snapped it came off. I guess I could have bought an impact wrench and used a club hammer but I found the wife worked well and she was cheaper

While I remember just to make your life a tad more difficult your cart is made in America but the engine is Japanese. You will need both imperial and metric wrenches. As we say in French Tout Alors!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #20
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 85 marathon still won't run

Thanks for the info. Could I borrow your wife when I get to that point?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO