lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
rocko
Gone Wild

Default Re: Getting broken fuel pump bolt out

I don't know if the hole is blind or not , sticking something in the other hole might give a clue , that makes me think of another thing to consider , drilling too deep and making a opening to the internal spaces of the block , I think I'd insert the bit into the good hole and mark the bit with a drill stop or some electrical tape so that I got the right depth--------------- a trick to minimize metal shavings from going all over when your drilling is to place a magnet next to the hole your drilling and it will atrack most of it ------------
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Well, I got the engine back in today. I ended up having to jbweld a new bolt in. It sealed great and no leaks. It fired up right away when I put the engine back in. Now I noticed I have an annoying light squealing or chirping sound. I was thinking it may be a belt. The driven belt is brand new , the starter belt is a little worn, but tight. It shouldn't need an adjustment because I never loosened the bolt on the back that does the tension. All the bolts are back. Any body have an idea what it might could be?
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
mandoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am a retired toolmaker, who now it tinkering with carts. this is what I would do or in your case would have done. The reverse drilll and the easy outs are good ideas, but the earlier posts about the starting position of the new hole to either extract or drill out is critical. Take the utmost care in doing so. When this happens again take your reverse drill, 1. if the broken bolt is flush take a dremal or some small grinder and grind it below the countersink area of the tapped hole. It will be the orignal machining of the hole and will allow you to line perfectly in the center of the tapped hole. Take the center of your drill and grind a V in it so the drill looks like this lVl you dont have to worry about finding center the v when it catches the bolt will usually spin right out unless it is gaulded or bottomed out. In that case 2. Take a cut off wheel on the dremal modify the bit as in the first case but this time leave a sharp tip in the center of the v basicly you dont even want a v just two parallel sides with a protrusion in the middle. Dont worry if your little dimple isnt perfectly in the center it will just make the hole slightly larger, it should however sufficiently mark the center to allow you to center punch or start a smaller than tap drill size in the center or the bolt. You could then use an easy out. IMHO using the orignal size/threads are best soultion. If it doesnt easy out then go to tap drill size of the screw, in stead of using the standart 60% thread depth use a drill that will give you 50%... they make charts for this... you should be able to blow the threads out with compressed air or get a little scribe and kinda peel them out of the tapped hole, but for certain if you retap at this point those threads will come out. Just be careful not to break the tap.... it happens! You have heard carpenters say "measure three times than cut"... well with threads its think three times , do one thing right and think six times... Helicores are fine but they are a pain and they shorten the depth of the hole. But if your centered correctly and you have wall thickness you can retap and fix the problem. If wall thickness is an issue MSC industrial supplies sell none standard taps for just this problem with matching screws. Best of luck let me know if I can help. God Bless.
mandoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 AM   #14
racin161
Gone Wild

Hay mandoman has no one head of transfer punches? To get center of broken bolt grind or file broken bolt flush with case use your housing reinstalled with 1 bolt and install transfer punch in the hole to be drilled lightly tap transfer punch which will leave a true center to be drilled.Use a regular punch to make a deeper center for drilling.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I have and use a set of them but would bet most people(over 70%) have never heard of them or know what they were if they saw one.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

never have seen or heard of them racin and crash. can you post a pic so at lleast i could id one if i saw it?
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

can either of you guys post a pic of one? never seen nor heard of one, but might be able to id it if i saw one.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
racin161
Gone Wild

Madoc go to HARBOR FREIGHT site and type in transfer punches thats the best I can do. Some people don't like Harbor but it will give you an idea of what your looking for. Great tool for transferring pre drilled holes and finding centers
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
racin161
Gone Wild

Also keep in mind these are only used to transfer or find center. Lightly tap punch and then remove then center punch with a punch. Don't use the transfer to center punch it will damage it on hard metals
Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO