lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 91 2 stroke won't run without choke

I have a 91 2 stroke just rebuilt, replaced seals, fuel pump and cleaned carb completely. It was running great and now it won't run without ridding the choke. I am still on my first tank of gas with the rich oil mix but I don't think that would cause this problem. I did a compression check and it is 120 psi, any idea where to start looking?
Thanks,
Scott
skimaniac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 91 2 stroke won't run without choke

Might need to prime the fuel pump, take the fuel line loose at the carb, open the gas tank and blow some air in the tank with a rag around the opening to push the fuel through the line, when you see it coming out the fuel line, reconnect the fuel line and see if it runs better
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ski, if memory serves correct, was your cart sitting for a few years before the rebuild? If so, you're suffering through what many of us had - repeated carb cleanings.

That you mention this is your first tank of gas is a very good clue.

Once the fuel system is up and working correctly, it cleans all the old goo out, which then repluggs the carb. That you're choking suggests that you're not getting enough fuel to create a proper fuel/air mixture. Based on that it's still running, it's probably not the main intake into the carb - something is likely stuck in the feeder screw at the bottom of the bowl, or in one of the jets.

I had to have mine off three times after my rebuild (and still on the first tank of gas), and it's running fine now. It took poor BCM a bit longer to get his cleared up. As a preventative, I started mixing Seafoam into my my gas mixture starting with the second tank (1/3 can to a tank) and so far, no problems.

Also, inspect the bowl closely - flaky varnish builds up in there when a cart sits, and it loosens up when the cart is running. It will look clean when sprayed with carb cleaner, but will need to be cleaned off (I used a dremel with a wire brush to take it off).

And make sure when reassembling the carb that the holes in the feeder bolt match the grooves in the bowl.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It may also be that you have a small air leak. Might be worth spraying some WD40 or similar around the elbow behind the carburetor a seeing if the engine tone changes.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well thanks for the help.. As I was waiting for my kids to get out of school I was pondering this problem. I took another look at the carb figuring air must be leaking in and to my surprise I found a screw missing from the top of the carb, (must be a jet) as luck has it I have a spare carb I use for parts, screwed it in and it runs like a champ. Sorry I wasted your time, I didn't see it under the linkage and I should never work on my cart without my glasses. Cheers to all that looked at the post and offered a solution.
skimaniac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO