lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2000 Club Car DS Run Issues

So, I am at a complete loss. I am mechanically inclined and consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable. But, here is the issue.

I started noticing late last year my Clubcar DS was running poorly. What it is doing is this. When it is cold it seems to run fine for a while. But then after it warms up it doesn't want to run pushing down the accelerator too much. Meaning, if I allow it to start running with very little pedal, almost not enough to even move, it will sit there and run and move a little. However, if I press on the pedal it will stall out and not want to fire. It is turning over but not running. Now sometimes if I keep babying it, it will take off running for a couple of minutes and then not fire again.

So, I thought well its the igniter. Nope, just replaced that and it initially ran fine for a day or two and then started doing the same thing again as I left it last year. Because I just replaced it a few days ago.

So I replaced the gas completely, spark plug, carburetor, fuel pump and gave it a fresh oil change and same problem. Also checked the valve clearances as well.

So I am at a complete loss and do not know even what to look at next.

It has the FE290 motor in it as well.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
gatesjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 Club Car DS Run Issues

Below the valve cover is a bracket with a box on it. Just above the oil drain plug. This is your rev limiter. The 10mm bolt on the left side of that bracket should have a brown wire with a ring terminal on the bolt. Remove the bolt and the ring terminal. Tape the ring terminal up and see what happens. Good chance the rev limiter has gone bad, disconnecting that brown wire disables it and takes it out of the equation.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Below the valve cover is a bracket with a box on it. Just above the oil drain plug. This is your rev limiter. The 10mm bolt on the left side of that bracket should have a brown wire with a ring terminal on the bolt. Remove the bolt and the ring terminal. Tape the ring terminal up and see what happens. Good chance the rev limiter has gone bad, disconnecting that brown wire disables it and takes it out of the equation.
O.k., I will do that and report back in just a few minutes. Also, I notice when the cart decides it doesn't want to get moving just before it happens it like sputters and almost backfires and smells like fuel as I am letting off of the pedal. I know when it sputters as I let off of the accelerator that it is going to have trouble get going again. I also notice if I play with the accelerator pedal and pump it back and forth sometimes I can get her to go for a bit again. I also believe, that once it is moving and I don't let off of the accelerator, it will keep going, but as soon as I start backing off of the accelerator is when it will have trouble getting going again. I think that is all accurate.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
O.k., so that did not make a difference. But, what I have verified, as much as it does not make any sense to me, when it acts up and sputters and stalls and then doesn't want to go, if I keep pumping back and forth on the accelerator it will eventually start wanting to go and run again.

It acts like its getting too much gas and sputters and chokes out.

But again, I have replaced the fuel, pump and carburetor and it has new fuel lines and filters.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check the cable running from the governor to the carb. If it sticks at all it can cause issues. That cable has to be *very* free.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Check the cable running from the governor to the carb. If it sticks at all it can cause issues. That cable has to be *very* free.
Wouldn't I be able to put it in maintenance mode and take the seat off and see some evidence when I press the accelerator pedal and watch the carb arm move or not move ? I will check it but what exactly am I looking for here ?
Old 04-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What spark plug brand and part number did you put in it?
Are you sure you have spark when it does this? Keep a spare spark plug with you and drive the cart so it starts acting up. Pull the plug wire off and stick the spare plug in the wire and lay it on top of the engine where it will touch bare metal.
Make sure you have strong bright blue spark. If the spark looks yellowish or is not consistent then you may have a coil problem.

You say you replaced the igniter. A 2000 model should have the igniter built into the coil assembly. Did you replace the entire coil assembly? Did you get an original Kawasaki coil? If it's not OE Kawasaki it will cause problems.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Are you sure you have spark when it does this? Keep a spare spark plug with you and drive the cart so it starts acting up. Pull the plug wire off and stick the spare plug in the wire and lay it on top of the engine where it will touch bare metal.
Make sure you have strong bright blue spark. If the spark looks yellowish or is not consistent then you may have a coil problem.

You say you replaced the igniter. A 2000 model should have the igniter built into the coil assembly. Did you replace the entire coil assembly? Did you get an original Kawasaki coil? If it's not OE Kawasaki it will cause problems.
I did not get an OE Kawasaki, but the cart business said it would work. So you're saying that it HAS to be a OEM Kawasaki Coil/Ignitor ??

https://www.golfcartking.com/club-ca...ignition-coil/
Old 04-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

O.k., so I just installed an OEM Club Car DS Coil/Ignitor on the cart and so far so good, but usually it takes a day or two to see. So I will report back.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Cool beans

And no, it doesn't HAVE to be an OEM coil. You only have to use OEM parts if you want it to work

Aftermarket coils are junk. Seldom do they last very long and they really aren't much cheaper than oem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car