lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
MsipiGirl
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Resistor coil and battery heat up with key off

Coil gets extremely hot and negative cable does too, with key on/off/ ignition harness pulled off even to the point when I hook the neg. cable to the battery to check the voltage, after about 2 minutes it begins to spark and melt.
G1 Yamaha 36v Electric 1984ish

A little background.
I purchased this cart on a whim for a project. No prior knowledge of electric motors or golf carts. I fell for a story I believe. I was told it sat up a long time, just needed batteries and tires and would run. And was told it was a 1994. (He was only 10 years off)
The motor was no longer marked A1,A2 etc. I’ve printed diagrams from the repair manuals I’ve found. I’ve wired this thing different ways according to different motor stud numbers.
Also purchased three 12v deep cycle marine batteries. I’m getting 36v of current the way it’s currently wired. It’s possible it’s wired wrong to the solenoids. I’ve been at it 3 weeks now. I replaced both WR solenoids with used OEM’s.

Whether the key is on/off, rev or harness unplugged, I get heat and it continues until I remove the neg cable. I left it a couple minutes today to see what would happen and the neg at the battery post started sparking.

Would my incorrect wiring cause this or is there some type regulator it’s missing?

I sure could use any advice or help please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C7F7C91D-BE87-42CF-B65A-146035B1146F.jpg (25.5 KB, 0 views)
MsipiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
kingarthur
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Resistor coil and battery heat up with key off

Most likely a short somewhere.

Can you draw a diagram of where the batteries are connecting?

Something quick like this:
Batt + to solenoid
Batt - to S2 motor post
Post2 from solenoid to coil
kingarthur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery too hot, hot coil, wiring wrong
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha