lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #111
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild"

Gotta say Casper, you are real fond of that boat pump mod ;)

But with too much time alone with my brain today, I think I figured out the problems:
- As BCM suggested (BTW, when I get my Packers season tickets in 2047 or so, I'll take you to a game), I bet the proper use of the cart dragged all kinds of filth into the carb from which it must now be expunged
- As Dave suggested, the fuel pump requires an inspection and I will replace the one vacuum hose - however, my jug and piston, and rings are OK
- As Dave also suggested, I will be BBQing my muffler on the bonfire this weekend

And, embarrassing moment, I'm thinking today "If the jug and piston and all is OK, why would I lose compression at the top of the stroke". The only possible explanation would be that the head gasket isn't holding the pressure!

But why would the gasket not be holding the pressure? I torqued the bolts correct, right!

Oh yeah, except today I remembered the part where the shroud wouldn't fit properly over the intake of the new jug, so I "assisted" it down by smacking it with a rubber mallet. I'm guessing this action compressed the compressible metal of the gasket, eventually allowing it to leak pressure out.

In a way, good, as if I know the cause, I worry less. Bad, beacuse I was too stupid to think this through thoroughly when putting the shroud on.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #112
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

for what it's worth, unless you REALLY beat the hell out of it, you should be OK - especially if you consider that were it damaged to the point of not sealing, it would have leaked right away ... I think Dave's theory makes more sense, and besides - it's NORMAL to be able to turn these 2-smokers over by hand without a ton of effort, your original scenario where it was very difficult sounds more concerning (had it remained that way, anyhow).

The BBQ can't hurt - I figured out my trouble before I did mine but went ahead with it anyhow and WOW did it help. Just get ready - once you've got everything working well and you start getting happy we're probably going to bust your **** to do the HEI mod (not to mention the longer a cart sits, the shorter time the electronics are likely going to last once you get her running)

As to the Packers, well let me tell you, for a long time it was easy to get ahold of free tix (you can't go more than 15 minutes in any direction around here without knowing or running into someone who has them it seems) but something tells me THIS year might be a bit tough to find people willing to give 'em up - but if you're in the neighborhood give me an advance shout and I'll see what I can find for us!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #113
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the offer BCM - if there is a season this year. Been to the Metrodome for a few Pack-Vikes tilts, but still need to make the pigrimage to GB. Although my Dad admired Lombardi, he loved Bud Grant - I'm lucky I've managed to escape this family affliction.

At least the gasket is only a $8 part - even if it just makes me feel better, it's worth a swap. Also been toying with the idea of adding a stereo to the cart, but I should probably concentrate on getting it working properly first.

Anyways, with two birthday parties this week, I'll be lucky to get any time with the cart! My wife has a hidden mental radar that tells her in advance of when I'm going to work on the cart - then she heads me off before I can get going.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #114
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

LOL - that stereo idea has been sitting on the list with my cart for awhile too (I'm torn between a full top or a sport windshield and rollcage first, though) ... My thought was to set up a smaller (8") free-air sub either in the firewall (which would entail a ton of creativity) or a 6X9 sub in the rear deck/cover with a pair of Galaxy Audio 5 1/4's in the dash as speakers (they make a sweet personal stage monitor driver, far more efficient than automotive stuff, better response, etc but I'd have to protect them from the elements really well so they'd almost certainly have to be removeable or ?)

Keep us posted on what you find with the cart, Amigo!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #115
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So, spent a quality 3 hours with the cart today!

First up, pull out the fuel pump. I opened it up, and did the finger test on the diaphragm. All good. However, I did notice some orfice on the top of pump was completely plugged with crud so I blew it out. I also used this opportunity to detach the vacuum line and attach another.

Off with the shroud - and sure enough, my head pounding must have compressed the gasket, because there was like 5 pounds of torque on the head bolts. New gasket in, tighten her back up.

Carb off, bowl off, and YUK! From having gas in the bowl it stirred up crud that looked clean when soaked with carb cleaner, but crap when dry. So, take a wire brush to the bowl, clean the crud out, clean the jets, clean the choke butterfly valve, and ensure the idle screw was set correct.

Hook everything back up, take the drive belt off, and step on the gas. 30 sec of crank, and watch the air bubble back up the fuel line. No fire. Pull the choke (duh) and get it to backfire. Let it sit for 30 seconds, crank, rough firing, then VROOOM! Fired up and ran great!

If I get a chance tonight, I'll get the shroud, muffler, and air intake back on and take it for a boot! Plus, I BBQd the muffler last night, which should make it run better. Pics to be posted later.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #116
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

that's good news scooter.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #117
casper4203
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

We knew you'd git 'er
casper4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #118
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And now that the intake, muffler, and shroud are back on, we have a cart!

Took it for a good test drive tonight (1/4 mile or so), and it ran smooth. The only performance issues were:
- It was a bit slow to come up to RPMs from stopped. It would fire OK, but then run at a low idle for a few seconds before revving up.
- It did seem to need a bit of choke every now and then, usually after a stop and restart

Are these normal break in issues, is this an issue with the 40:1 for the break-in period, or is there something else I could look at or tweak? Really more of an annoyance than anything, because the cart ran great tonight. It's almost time to start a new thread in the custom cart forums! Very exciting!

And thank you everyone for your help. Dave, Madoc, BCM, and Casper (no I didn't do the boat mod yet), I appreciate your support as this rebuild wouldn't have happened without your suggestions and encouragement.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #119
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Glad it's coming together for you, Amigo !!! I think the symptoms you still have are minimal and somewhat within the realm of "normal", my '88 still has a touch of hesitation taking off (always has) that seems to go away a bit everytime I pull the carb and clean the jets, etc - but I stopped doing it all the time because it's a minor annoyance compared with the pain of pulling and cleaning the carb (whomever designed the placement of the 10mm nut at the rear of the intake/carb needs to be flogged).

You WILL notice a difference once you're broken in and go to 128:1 though, or at least I noticed when I switched (not due to a new engine, but to the ignorant assumption that "40:1 sounded about right") ...

And depending on the temperature outside, my cart also needs a little choke now and then (even when it's "warm" outside) - it goes entirely away on hot days (80f plus) but even if it's in the low 70's she needs a touch of coaxing to fire.

NOW - get ready for my upcoming new thread later this week, it's going to be the one where I look like an idiot, post a crude video, and get to hear everyone tell me "YES, your starter/generator needs a rebuild soon" - I know I personally can't wait :)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #120
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks BCM,

Hearing that, I think my rebuild is now complete! Any new issues I have I will post under new threads, and I will start a thread for my cosmetic repairs.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 06-13-2011 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Can't spell

Tags
am i crazy?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO