lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Governor help

350cc engine in the EZGO ST, runs 15.2mph

The sticky on how to governor no longer has a picture (stupid Photobucket), but I believe I'm do My what I'm supposed to do.

Tightening the nut on the end of the spring above the rear diff, however best I've seen is 15.6mph

I've tightened it several turns and when in neutral if I use my hand to hit the accelerator, I able to pull on it with my other hand and it revs more.

Before I continue to tighten it more I figured I should ask if I'm doing the right thing, or if there is anything else I need to do?

Pic of adjusted spring is attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3480.jpg (170.4 KB, 0 views)
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
Orlando
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Governor help

thats it, you will have to turn the nut alot before you see any change in speed
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
thats it, you will have to turn the nut alot before you see any change in speed
Ok awesome, like said I've tightened it several times and figured I should double check before I just keep going
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Have you actually set up the carb so that with your pedal fully down you actually have wide open throttle at the carb butterfly? (With ignition off) If you are not getting WOT then you will not see a huge difference with top speed as the carb will never be fully open.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Have you actually set up the carb so that with your pedal fully down you actually have wide open throttle at the carb butterfly? (With ignition off) If you are not getting WOT then you will not see a huge difference with top speed as the carb will never be fully open.
No, I have not. I guess I just figured it was good to go. I'll pull the air intake off tomorrow and see what it looks like
Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Yes, when pedal is pressed, it goes all the way
Old 11-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Ok, well you can adjust the governor as much as you like, The igniter has a rev limiter built in and you will know when you hit those revs as the engine will stutter a bit. If you reach this stage, back off the governor a little and all will be smooth again. this will be your top speed limit. There are ways to get it faster, but this should get you to around the 20mph mark.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
tsutrailblazer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

so I was adjusting my cart last night as I just installed my rebuilt 350 engine on workhorse ST350. I noticed I was not hitting wide open throttle @ carb, therefore, I adjusted cable linkage of pedal cable and now get WOT. When I run in neutral, I am able to watch the governor work and here the stutter in engine. I don't see the governor engage when in gear. is anything wrong here, or my engine RPM's just not getting high enough?

Sounds like Mrjonman and I are trying to figure out a similar topic.

Also, I am use to gas carts from golf course, and when going down hill, if motor stops running, they make an annoying whinning sound (probably from transmission) until motor starts up again. Do the ezgo workhorses not do this? I have hills in my yard and have never heard this while going down hill.
tsutrailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Ok, well you can adjust the governor as much as you like, The igniter has a rev limiter built in and you will know when you hit those revs as the engine will stutter a bit. If you reach this stage, back off the governor a little and all will be smooth again. this will be your top speed limit. There are ways to get it faster, but this should get you to around the 20mph mark.
Umm.....faster the better. So please give me more things. I got rid of my last car because it wasn't fast enough and too much money to make it faster (36v).
Old 11-03-2017, 01:02 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutrailblazer View Post
When I run in neutral, I am able to watch the governor work and here the stutter in engine. I don't see the governor engage when in gear. is anything wrong here, or my engine RPM's just not getting high enough?

Difficult to answer this one without seeing or hearing it, but others may have the answer

Sounds like Mrjonman and I are trying to figure out a similar topic.

Also, I am use to gas carts from golf course, and when going down hill, if motor stops running, they make an annoying whinning sound (probably from transmission) until motor starts up again. Do the ezgo workhorses not do this? I have hills in my yard and have never heard this while going down hill.

The whining noise you hear on the golf course buggies is usually from the belt when coasting, The driven clutch tries to spin the belt around the drive clutch as the engine is stalled and the noise if created by the notches on the inner side of the belt. Ideally you should not coast in neutral as you can easily lose control of the vehicle, just drive down the hills with light throttle. Your ST350 may be fitted with a different type of belt without the notches, hence no whining noise
Regarding your governor working or not, will depend on a lot of things. First off all do you see it pull the throttle back when you rev the engine in neutral?, Do you know what rev's you are getting at WOT? Do you hear the rev limiter make the engine stutter when WOT in neutral or going down hill? Has the governor already been wound all the away in or zip tied? Photo's / Videos would help us see what is happening.

yes, there is a fair bit you can do to increase speed, but first you need to make sure everything is as it should be stock. You say you have rebuilt the engine, do you know what compression figures you have? and i assume on the rebuild, you did everything to EZGO spec.

I hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO