lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

Default Using a timer on with a Powerdrive charger

Greetings,
I was wondering if it would hurt anything to use a timer with my 2004 CC ds and powerdive charger? I want to plug in the charger to the cart and have a timer turn it on after the peak billing period, 7:00 PM for me, ends in the evening.
Thanks,
Michael
mlanierjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Using a timer on with a Powerdrive charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanierjr View Post
Greetings,
I was wondering if it would hurt anything to use a timer with my 2004 CC ds and powerdive charger? I want to plug in the charger to the cart and have a timer turn it on after the peak billing period, 7:00 PM for me, ends in the evening.
Thanks,
Michael
Just be sure to leave it on for enough hours to complete it's charge cycle.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Does it affect the batteries if you take the cart off the charger before a full charge??? What do you do if you have to go someplace and the charger was on for only 1 hour?
Thanks
Andy
andystmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by andystmichael View Post
Does it affect the batteries if you take the cart off the charger before a full charge??? What do you do if you have to go someplace and the charger was on for only 1 hour?
Thanks
Andy
I just "set it and forget it", like that cooking infomercial Do you not trust your charger?

To answer your question: For the best care of your batteries, you should not remove the charger until the batteries are fully charged. However, there are times when this is not possible, but as a practice, your batteries will be best served by following this rule.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info. I don't want to make mistakes when it comes to me batteries. They cost way too much to gamble with.
Thanks again
Andy
Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Do places still have peak billing periods? I remember years ago, when I lived in another town, that you could supposedly save money by waiting to run appliances after a certain hour, but I haven't heard of anything like that in a long time. I've wondered, and maybe it's even been posted around here at some point, how much it actually costs, on average, to charge a cart. I had a gasser before buying my electric last year, and I can't really say I've noticed any appreciable difference in my power bills. At least nothing like back in the day when I bought a hot tub. They told me to expect my power bill to increase about a dollar a day if I kept the thermostat controlled heat on all the time. And it went up by at least that much.

It's probably okay to put the charger on a timer, but I'd make sure the timer doesn't cut back off until the cart has had plenty of time to get a complete charge. So, when you plug the cart in, you'll still hear the click on the charger, but won't hear the buzz until the timer kicks on.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
Do places still have peak billing periods? I remember years ago, when I lived in another town, that you could supposedly save money by waiting to run appliances after a certain hour, but I haven't heard of anything like that in a long time. I've wondered, and maybe it's even been posted around here at some point, how much it actually costs, on average, to charge a cart. I had a gasser before buying my electric last year, and I can't really say I've noticed any appreciable difference in my power bills. At least nothing like back in the day when I bought a hot tub. They told me to expect my power bill to increase about a dollar a day if I kept the thermostat controlled heat on all the time. And it went up by at least that much.

It's probably okay to put the charger on a timer, but I'd make sure the timer doesn't cut back off until the cart has had plenty of time to get a complete charge. So, when you plug the cart in, you'll still hear the click on the charger, but won't hear the buzz until the timer kicks on.
My wife pays the bills and she said there has been no noticable increase in our power bills since we bought our cart We drive it at least a few miles daily.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi all;
Here in Ontario, we have peak time, ( 11 AM to 5 PM) Mid Peak time (5PM to 7PM) and 7AM to 11AM) and Off Peak Time (11 AM to 5 PM.) Weekend are off Peak time for hydro. If you charge your cart in the evenings or on the weekend, there is no extra cost. If you charge it in the mid peak to Peak time, it will cost you a buck or two extra. Who cares that much. Most charging is done on the weekend and way.
Just thought you wanted to know.
Andy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car